Manchester Metropolitan University

Digital & Technology Solutions Degree Apprenticeship

for Employers

The Degree Apprenticeship in Digital & Technology Solutions is a new degree programme, bringing honours level education into the workplace context to help address the skills gap in IT.

Manchester Metropolitan University developed the apprenticeship in collaboration with the Tech Partnership, together with leading national and regional employers such as Barclays, AstraZeneca, Lloyds Banking Group, Thales, DWP, Apadmi, MC2, Reality Mine and Shaping Cloud.

Integrating academic learning at degree level and on-the-job practical training will enable apprentices to become confident, competent and capable independent Digital & Technology Solutions Professionals in a range of roles, including:

How the Degree Apprenticeship works

Apprentices will be full members of staff in their host organisation, learning and gaining experience about the operation, systems and culture of the organisation. Employers will guide the direction of the apprentice’s development towards a path, which best fits with their organisational and development needs.

The degree element of the apprenticeship is a part-time course run over four years, studied on site at Manchester Metropolitan University. The current delivery uses a mixture of day release and block teaching equivalent to 33 days per year. We are always looking to develop our courses to best fit the needs of regional and national employers, so please get in touch to discuss your own requirements.

Study options

Apprentices study a core curriculum, focussed on IT in business and includes a blend of technology, business and project skills. The core comprises around 60% of the programme and includes the following topics:

  • Introduction to Programming
  • Introduction to Business Systems
  • Introduction to Web Development
  • Computing Fundamentals
  • Project and Technology Management
  • Portfolio

The remainder of the curriculum is made up from elective units and project-based work, allowing apprentices to study an IT Consultant, Software Engineer, Data Analyst or Cyber Security Analyst pathway.

Download the Digital & Technology Solutions pathways diagram that details the units studied on our specialist pathways.

The core modules will be underpinned by communication, presentation and team working skills development, in order to ensure graduates emerge ready to work successfully with clients and colleagues.

The qualification

All successful apprentices will receive a BSc (Hons) Digital & Technology Solutions, a degree awarded by Manchester Metropolitan University. The final degree award will also reflect the pathway the apprentice has followed, for example BSc (Hons) in Digital & Technology Solutions (Software Engineer).


You have full control over recruitment and will need to verify eligibility, for example, entry qualifications. We will promote your vacancy on our website, provide open evenings to network with interested candidates and can facilitate assessment centres.

How do we get involved?

We  would love to hear from you, so please get in touch for an informal conversation about how to proceed on 0161 247 6043 or email

What are the entry criteria?

Candidates for the Degree Apprenticeship should have Maths and English GCSE grade A-C or equivalent, and a minimum of 104-112 points at A2 (Grades BCC). Acceptable alternatives include a BTEC or an Advanced Apprenticeship in related subject. However, we will interview and assess individually those who do not have these qualifications, but have relevant work experience.

Can we tailor the study path for our apprentices?

Employers, in agreement with their apprentices, will have the choice between a Software Engineer, IT Consultant, Data Analyst or Cyner Security Analyst pathway. The core units make up around 60% of the programme, with the remaining 40% comprising pathway units, one elective unit, work-based projects and a portfolio.

Can existing employees apply?

Yes. As long as they meet the entry requirements or have suitable work experience, they can apply for the programme.

Is there an age limit for apprentices?

There are no age restrictions and no difference in funding according to age, except for your eligibility for certain incentive payments. Candidates who already have a degree-level qualification should be eligible as long as their existing qualifications are materially different from the course material.

Can we recruit a student from abroad?

Usually overseas students would not qualify for funding, but if you have any particular concerns about eligibility, please contact us.