"Mathematics performs very well on all key University performance indicators; it’s great the course has now received this recognition from the most important group of all - its students.”
Passion for teaching
More than 1,300 nominations were whittled down to a shortlist in 10 categories.
The prize for Best Overall Department went to Health Professions, which caters for physiotherapy, speech and language therapy, paramedic and community health students.
The department was praised for its “very dedicated staff who are all very willing to help", and lecturers who "share their passion for the subject while finding time to check in with individuals.”
Lecturer of the Year went to Haleh Moravej, from Food and Tourism Management, who was commended for her “obvious passion and commitment to the course.”
Accepting her award, Haleh said: “Learning is limitless so lecturing should be limitless and exciting. It is great that my students are responding positively to my assignments and challenges. I am grateful to MMUnion for their vision and for running such an amazing evening where lecturers are rewarded for their hard work.”
Other prizes went to:
- Gill Barry from the Library Service, in recognition of her “significant contribution to improving the learning experience at MMU,” which saw her excel beyond her job role.
- Diane Loggenberg, from Psychology, was named best personal tutor.
- Podcaster Mark Peace, from the Institute of Education, was given the award for Outstanding Innovation in Teaching
- Sehar Graham, also from Food and Tourism Management, was given the award fo Outstanding Teaching for Employability.
- Rebecca Castrey, from the Department of Contemporary Arts, won the award for Outstanding Feedback.
- Chris Edwards, from Adult Nursing, was named Best Course Rep, a category which included nominations from both students and staff.
Usman Ali, Vice President of Higher Education for the National Union of Students said going to University was a very powerful way of creating life opportunities and helping make people role models for others.
The awards, which are now in their third year, were hosted by Laura Ramli, Students Union Vice President Cheshire, and Alex Fountain, Students Union Vice president Education.
They were streamed live to Student Union website by MMU Media.