Since our last update we have supported a wide range of events:
- Welcome Week Exhibition, Tuesday 20th September
On 20th September, as part of the University’s student welcome activities, we held an exhibition at Brooks for new students on campus. Local organisations, businesses and community groups were on-hand to provide information and advice on volunteering opportunities, health services and the best places to visit in the local area. On the day, we were joined by 19 partners from Hulme and Moss Side including Big Life, Hulme Community Garden Centre, SelfHelp Services, and Manchester South Central Food Bank.
- Community Forum, Wednesday 2nd November
In November, we met with community partners for the Birley Community Forum. The group meets termly to share the latest updates from the campus and the surrounding area. You can view the latest notes and actions from the group on the Birley website.
- Over-50s Christamas lunch, Friday 9th December
More than 70 local residents from Hulme and Moss Side joined us at the Brooks building for a very special over-50s Christmas lunch. The afternoon was organised by the Engagement Team with support from Manchester City Council, Manchester Age Friendly Neighbourhoods, student Residential Life advisors, and local community partners including Asda, One Manchester and People First.
Community Room Bookings
From September – December 2016, 6 local groups made use of the community facilities at Brooks and we have welcomed over 280 visitors from the local area.
Community partners organised a number of events including:
- A regional meeting for Northwest youth councils organised by Youth Focus North West
- A film screening exploring young people's views of healthy relationships produced by Manchester Young Lives and Odd Arts
- Manchester Black History Festival ‘Celebration Launch Event’