Academic and professional qualifications
I have taught at all levels from further education, higher education and post graduate. Subjects span fashion trading from the retailer and supplier perspective, including quality, enterprise, people management, communication, marketing and range building. Currently leader for the largest programme within the department and lead the teaching team through a successful programme review.
I have worked within the clothing industry for 20 years and had a key role within an international fashion trading company as a manager of a large technical and QC team across retail, e-commerce and mail order businesses, I have travelled extensively throughout the world appraising existing and potential suppliers. Other responsibilities involved analysis and improvement of the trading process and supplier approval/appraisal.
Research Expertise, Publications & Grants
Change management within the clothing industry both UK and overseas; process analysis and alignment for fashion trading; product sourcing and supplier appraisal; student recruitment related to promotion within the media, schools and colleges; the changing relationship between suppliers and retailers; UK manufacturing within the clothing industry.
M. Malone An investigation into initiatives to bring together emerging design talent with manufacturing and retail opportunities. Shanghai, 9/4/2018.
M. Malone The role of people and culture in the growth of clothing manufacturing in northern Portugal. Berlin, 28/9/2017.
M. Malone The changing relationship of the UK buying office and the supplier. University of Manchester, 23/4/2014.
Engagement & Knowledge Exchange
Projects and initiatives
- At MMU I have produced and delivered change management programmes to industry and also provided consultancy services to international retailers relating to planning, sourcing, distribution and stock management.
- Project work included setting up a company in Japan that involved a warehouse and inspection department, recruitment and training of staff and manager of a global product sourcing team for the Japanese market; working on joint ventures with other high street retailers; business mergers; IT design from the business perspective. I also headed a team of IT, buying, merchandising and QA staff in a two year major retail integration project involving everything from staff recruitment and development; to the trading process and supplier relations, in order to achieve a £50m annual costs saving.
Consultancy and advisory roles
- Previously Invited to guest lecture in Toronto, Buffalo, Beijing and Texas.
- I have previously acted as an adviser/consultant to the industry leader in IT communication systems to support clothing manufacturers and retailers. I designed a supplier appraise system for large companies that is now used by other retailers and construction companies.
- I presented as an invited guest speaker at an international industry conference in Dallas.
- I represented companies in negotiations for business takeovers and mergers, as well as negotiating with unions on staff reductions, re-deployment and re-training
- I also worked for the European branch of a USA based apparel consultancy company and then as an independent consultant to the industry, advising on importing, staff structures, customer service and process analysis.
Media appearances or involvement
I am regularly called upon by the BBC to comment on fashion related stories for BBC Breakfast TV, BBC World News TV, Newsnight, Radio 5 Live, Radio 4 and BBC Regional radio around the UK.
Awards, Honours & Distinctions
Prizes and awards
- PG Cert
- CFI 1 & 2
MMU Students voted me as the 2014 WINNER of the “Outstanding Teaching for Employability” in the University presented by MMU Student Union. I was also shortlisted for “Best Overall Teacher” in the University for the same year.
Membership of professional associations