Manchester Metropolitan University is committed to supporting bright local students into and through university, providing the support and encouragement to help young people succeed.
We are inviting Year 12 students to be a part of the first cohort of our First Generation programme. This is a new scheme to help bright, young people like you, from backgrounds that do not usually enter higher education, to secure an undergraduate place at Manchester Metropolitan and then provide continued financial, professional and personal support throughout your studies and into employment.
The result for you is a scheme that breaks down barriers before, during and after university. The result for Manchester and the UK is talent unlocked, potential achieved, and lives changed.
Applicants must also be available to attend the First Generation Summer School from Monday 7 August to Wednesday 9 August 2017. This is a free residential event at the University, though you are welcome to attend on a non-residential basis if preferred. More details can be found in the Scheme Guide, which will be provided to you at a later stage.
Benefits of the programme
- A place on the Year 12 Summer School where you will have a chance to explore the subjects on offer, experience university life, and develop skills to help you succeed at university
- Access to pre-entry guidance to support your university application and peer mentorship from students with similar life experience
- A First Generation Scholarship of £1000* when you progress to a degree at Manchester Metropolitan University
- The option to participate in part time work as a Student Ambassador, enabling you to develop valuable experiences and employability skills (dependent on your eligibility to work)
- A place on a fully funded Year 1 residential experience outside of Manchester. The details of this trip will be provided at a later stage
- Academic and professional (graduate) mentor to support your development and prepare you for employment at the end of your degree.
*in addition to other financial support you may be entitled to. This will be paid directly to you by bank transfer at a date specified by the University and is dependent upon further terms and conditions.
- You are in Year 12 (lower sixth) in a state-maintained post-16 institution at the point of application
- You are a Home (UK) student, or expect to be by the time you apply for higher education
- You live in Greater Manchester or you study at an institution in Greater Manchester
- You attended a state high school (i.e. you did not have to pay for your education)
- You are currently studying a two-year Level 3 qualification. This could mean A-levels, a BTEC qualification etc
- Neither your parents or guardian have attended university and obtained an undergraduate degree or equivalent level qualification in the UK or abroad
- You have at least eight A* to C grades at GCSE (or equivalent, e.g. GNVQ, BTEC Certificate), including English Language and Maths. Of these, a minimum of four of them must be at grade B or above.
In the event of being over-subscribed, we will prioritise applicants according to the following criteria:
- Applicants who are, or have been, looked after by their Local Authority
- Applicants who are estranged from their families
- You live in a 'low participation' neighbourhood. These are areas where low numbers of young people progress to university (you can check your postcode at www.hefce.ac.uk/postcode/. Priority will be for those in the lowest POLAR3 young participation quintile).
Terms and conditions
- It is the responsibility of all students to inform Manchester Metropolitan University of any change in circumstances that might affect this application
- By submitting an application, successful applicants are giving their consent to Manchester Metropolitan University to hold and process their data in accordance with the Data Protection Act 1998. Your details will not be used for commercial purposes
- By submitting an application, successful applicants agree to their name and photograph being published as being on the First Generation scheme and to undertaking any associated promotional activity by the University. If you do not give your consent to your data being used in this way, you must let us know in writing at the time of the submission of the application form
- This application will be subject to the provision of a satisfactory reference
- The information you give us on your application form will be used in accordance with the University’s Data Protection Policy: www.mmu.ac.uk/policy
- Manchester Metropolitan University needs to collect, maintain and use personal data relating to you to allow us to process your application for the First Generation Scheme (FGS). If you are successful in gaining a place on the scheme, the details you have provided in this form will be used for the purposes of registering you as a First Generation student and maintaining your FGS record, and providing facilities during your time on the scheme
- If you are successful in gaining a place on the programme, your progression on the programme will be monitored and may be shared with the link member of staff at your current school or college. We may also pass your data to UCAS or HESA in order to track your progression to Manchester Metropolitan University or other Higher Education Institutions. The information gathered would be used solely for research purposes to provide statistics for the evaluation the programme.
Apply online now
If you have a question about the scheme or application process, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or click on the button below.
Submit your query via email