We are delighted to be offering one Al-Habeeb Scholarship for £5,000 for the full-time MA in Multimedia Journalism, in the Faculty of Humanities, Languages and Social Science at Manchester Metropolitan University, for September 2014 entry.
The purpose of the Al-Habeeb Scholarship is to encourage student recipients to champion and promote the issues facing Black and Minority Ethnic (BME) communities in the United Kingdom through journalism and writing.
The Scholarship was established in 2013 thanks to the generosity of University graduate Mr Mohammad Habeebullah OBE JP.
About the MA Multimedia Journalism (full-time)
Graduates of all disciplines are equipped with knowledge and skills in journalism through intensive practical training and tuition. Designed to meet the requirements of the Broadcast Journalism Training Council, the course is taught by dedicated staff with media and industry experience, and strong professional connections. You will benefit from a mandatory placement providing key networking opportunities which will also enhance your employability.
- Candidates must apply to, and receive an offer of a place on, the full-time MA Multimedia Journalism degree for 2014 entry before applying for the Scholarship.
- Candidates must demonstrate their interest in championing and advocating BME community issues through volunteering, employment, academic study and/or in writing.
- The Scholarship is available to candidates for the full-time MA in Multimedia Journalism programme only.
- The Scholarship is available to self-funded candidates only.
- The Scholarship is available to candidates of any nationality from the UK, EU and overseas.
- The Al-Habeeb Scholarship may not be added to other University bursaries or scholarships, such as the family or Vice Chancellor’s scholarships.
How to apply
To apply for the Al-Habeeb Scholarship, you must:
- Apply to, and receive an offer of a place on, the full-time MA Multimedia Journalism degree programme at Manchester Metropolitan University for 2014 entry.
- Download and complete the Al-Habeeb Scholarship Application Form and read the terms and conditions (on the final page of the form).
- The Al-Habeeb Scholarship Application Form asks the applicant to write a personal statement of approximately 1000 words, which should cover the following four areas:
(a) demonstrate an interest in writing and/or debating about BME issues (giving specific examples of academic/writing experience where/if possible);
(b) provide examples of how to tackle stereotypes and myths about BME communities through journalism;
(c) suggest ways to improve communications between BME communities and host communities;
(d) describe how an applicant would be an advocate and champion for BME community issues during their studies and after completing the programme.
The answers to the four sections will be allocated points and used by the Al-Habeeb Scholarship Awarding Panel to select the Scholarship recipient.
- Submit your CV together with the completed Al-Habeeb Scholarship Application Form. The CV will be used to corroborate experience outlined in the personal statement.
- Submit your Al-Habeeb Scholarship Application Form, together with your CV to:
Post: Alumni and Development, Manchester Metropolitan University, Bellhouse, Lower Ormond Street, Manchester, M15 6BX, United Kingdom
Fax: +44 (0)161 247 1418
Closing date for applications
The closing date for applications is Friday 10th October 2014.
The successful candidate will be notified of the Al-Habeeb Scholarship Awarding Panel’s decision in October 2014. The Awarding Panel’s decision is final.
For further information about the Al-Habeeb Scholarship, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
The University reserves the right to withdraw or amend a scholarship or bursary without prior notification. Scholarships and bursaries are offered subject to funding and availability.