Saturday, 28 October 2017 at 9:00 am
Gothic Styles: Gothic Substance - Festival Conference
Location: 70 Oxford St, M1 5NH
Introduced and chaired by Dr Linnie Blake.
Is there substance to the Gothic’s many styles? Does the Gothic continue to reveal the great unspoken truths of our world? Did it ever? Is the Gothic anything more than a commercial product that may be sold, as a style, to a new generation of consumers? Was it always thus? What cultural function does Goth(ic) style possess? And how has this evolved from the Enlightenment to the neoliberal present?
This one-day conference will present 20-minute talks on all aspects of Gothic style. As such, topics may include, but are not confined to:
- Literary, Filmic and Popular Cultural Stylistics – Gothic or merely Gothicky?
- The Gothic styles of art and architecture
- Gothic fashion – from subculture to haute couture
- Goth music, clubs and clubbers
- The popular perception of goth(ic) style – from Halloween dress up to hate crime.
Full listings of talks and speakers will be available at the Gothic Manchester Festival website.
- Manchester Gothic Art Group (MGAG) annual exhibition
- The Hungry Dog Emporium of Curiosities
- Blackwells’ Gothic Book Stall
Tickets available on Eventbrite for £10.