Our research strategy reflects our core status as a regionally connected, globally significant University. Our ongoing mission is to ensure continued growth in the quality and impact of research. Research activities are focused around areas of strategic strength that are world leading and internationally excellent.
Investment is directed towards the production of high quality outputs, the development of outstanding impact and the recruitment of talented researchers to grow the University’s areas of strength.
Our strategy is contributing to a growth in the quality and vitality of research and has helped to realise:
- An overall rise of 12 places in the Times Higher Quality rankings in REF2014
- A 15% increase in the value of Quality Research related funding as a result of our successful REF2014 performance
- We have launched 12 new University Research Centres
- The University is increasing our share of the most cited publications in the top 1% year on year
- 38 percent of our outputs have international collaborators
- Research income is growing – last year we trebled the number of applications for funding
- The quality of our research environment can be evidenced through our status as an Investors in People Gold Champion and through the EU HR Excellence Award