The Research Excellence Framework (REF) is the system for assessing the quality of research in the UK. Results from the REF inform the allocation of research funding, provide benchmarking information for rankings and provide accountability for public investment in research. The REF measures the quality of outputs, the reach and significance of impact and the sustainability of the research environment.
Manchester Metropolitan University Performance
REF2014 results confirmed the increased quality, vitality and significance of our research. There was much to celebrate right across our submission but highlights include:
- We are the top ‘new’ university for the power of health research and 12th out of 94 for UK universities overall.
- We achieved the 7th largest increase in market share for health research
- We are top 20 for the number of researchers rated world-leading and internationally excellent in Education
- We are in the top 20 UK universities for the quality of our Sociology research
- 80% of the research environment in English Language and Literature research is rated world leading and internationally excellent
- We are ranked 6th out of 84 universities for the power of our research in Art and Design with the 5th largest community of researchers rated world-leading and internationally excellent.
World Leading Impact
The reach and significance of our research was considered to be outstanding:
- 100% of impact in Health, Education, Sociology, English and History was rated world-leading or internationally-excellent
- We are 8th out of 89 UK universities for the quality of our impact in English Language and Literature
- Sociology research is amongst the ten leading universities in the UK for its impact
- We are ranked 16th out of 82 UK universities for the quality of our impact in History research
- We are 20th in the UK for our impact in Education
Read our impact case studies