Welcome to FUNDS: FUture Networks and Distributed Systems Group within the School of Computing, Mathematics and Digital Technology at Manchester Metropolitan University. We are actively investigating novel methods, techniques and solutions that address the fundamental challenges of future computer networks and distributed systems. In particular, we seek to focus on the challenges associated with intelligent management and optimisation of large-scale complex distributed systems, such as, reliability, scalability, security, resilience, autonomy and issues associated with data-centric computing (e.g., data-intensive computing). In addition, the group works rigorously on tackling the scientific and industrially relevant problems. Other research is still on-going by the group researchers, which includes the development of computational methods based on naturalistic and self-organizing system models and assessing the emergent risks from the globally distributed systems interaction.
To this end, the research topics of the group mainly focus on the following areas:
- Computer Networks--Wired/Wireless Networks (e.g., Network and Routing Protocols, Network Measurement, Modelling and Analysis)
- Distributed Computing (e.g., Grid, Cluster, Cloud, Service-Oriented Computing, Data-Intensive Computing, Utility Computing, Virtualisation Integration,etc.)
- Autonomic Computing (e.g., Autonomic Cloud Systems, Autonomic Programming Languages,etc.)Field Programmable Gate Arrays (FPGA)
- Large-scale Data Mining/Machine Learning/Incremental Learning (Application Domains: Biology, Web Mining, Network Traffic, etc.)
- Network Security and Computing Forensics
The group also benefits from the currently available research labs, which provide the state-of-the-art computing facilities to the above topics' researchers.
• MMU funding, 2015
Project title: DIVINE: Building a wearable device for intelligent control of environment using Google
Glass( PI: Dr. Liangxiu Han, Co-PI: Nick Whittaker)
• Sustainable Society Network+ Award (RCUK Digital Economy), 2014-2015,
Project title: COPE--automatic diagnosis of crop diseases from images ( PI: Dr. Liangxiu Han), in
collaboration with Fera (Food and Environment Research Agency).
• A fully funded PhD studentship by Faculty of Science and Engineering, MMU, 2013-2016
Project title: Occupancy Pattern Detection for Energy Efficiency and Comfort Management in Buildings
Based on Environmental Sensing (PI, Dr. Liangxiu Han)
• BBSRC Grant, in Collaboration with MRC, Human Genetics Unit, University of Edinburgh, 2012-2013
Project title: AGILE: A Cloud Approch to Automatic Gene Expression Pattern Recognition and
Annotation over Large-Scale Images, In Collaboration with MRC, Human Genetics Unit,
University of Edinburgh (PI, Dr. Liangxiu Han)
• HEA Grant, 2012-2013, BLOSSOM (PI, Dr. Liangxiu Han)
• EPSRC DHPA, in collaboration with the industry, 2011-2015
Project title: Automatic Detection of Features in Retinal Images to Improve Diagnosis of Eye Disease
(PI, Dr. Liangxiu Han)
• Tenovous Scotland, in collaboration with University of Aberdeen, 2011-2012
Project title: Mathematical Understanding of Obesity and Type 2 Diabetes in Mouse Models
(Co-PI, Dr. Liangxiu Han)
• Amazon Education Research Award (2011-2013), in collaboration with MRC, Human Genetics Unit, University
Project title: Large-scale Gene Expression Pattern Annotation in Images of Mouse Embryo
(PI, Dr. Liangxiu Han)
• University Funding, 2011-2014
Project title: Biologically inspired computation (DoS, Dr. Liangxiu Han)
Dr Mohammad Hammoudeh
Research interests: Ad-hoc Wireless and Mobile Networks, Logical and Model Theory, Formal verification and Web Service.
Dr Liangxiu Han (Group Leader)
Research interests: Computer Networks & Distributed Computing (e.g., cloud, service oriented computing, IoT), Data Mining, Bioinformatics, Complex Sciences.
Dr Rob Hegarty
Research interests: Digital forensics, Cloud computing, Computer Security
Dr Maybin Muyeba
Research Interests: Data Mining, Fuzzy Logic, Intelligent Systems and Evolutionary Computing
Research interests: Mobile computing, Wireless sensor networks
- CityVerve- Internet of Things City Demonstrator, funded by Innovate UK, 2016-2018, MMU team: Thomas Jefferies (PI), Dr. Liangxiu Han (Co-PI), Ulysses Sengupta (Co-PI) and Bamidele Adebisi (Co-PI)).
- Automatic Glaucoma Disease Detection, funded by Optos, 2015-2016 (PI: Dr. Liangxiu Han)
- 02/12/2015, Research seminar on "Network-based Targeted Attacks Detection" by Ibrahim Ghafir
- Development of a cloud-based environment (Platform-as-a-service)" for smart city initiatives, in collaboration with Shaping Cloud, funded by Innovate UK, 2015-2018.(Knowledge-base supervisor: Nick Whittaker; Lead Academic: Dr. Liangxiu Han; Support Academic: Mohammad Hammoudeh)
- 13th IEEE International Conference on Ubiquitous Intelligence and Computing, 2016, http://uic2016.sciencesconf.org/ ( organisation of workshops by Dr. Liangxiu Han)
- 14/10/2015, Research seminar on"Improving Transportation Efficiency in Future Smart Cities" by Dr. Soufiene Djahel
- 23/07/2015, Featured article: the paper entitled "Retinal Area Detector from Scanning Laser Ophthalmoscope (SLO) Images for Diagnosing Retinal Diseases" (M. S. Haleem, L. Han, J. v. Hemert, B. Li, and A. Fleming) has been selected as a featured article in IEEE Journal of Biomedical and Health Informatics, http://jbhi.embs.org/2015/07/08/retinal-area-detector-from-scanning-laser-ophthalmoscope-slo-images-for-diagnosing-retinal-diseases/, http://jbhi.embs.org/category/featured-articles/
- 03/07/2015, Research seminar on "Digital Investigations in a Changing World" by Dr. Robert Hegarty
- 6/06/2015, The International Workshop on "Big Data and Smart Sustainable Society" to be held in conjunction with "IUCC-2015" in Liverpool, 26-28, October, 2015, http://www2.docm.mmu.ac.uk/STAFF/L.Han/BigData-2015/index.htm
- 3/06/2015, Research seminar on "Glaucoma detection framework to assist diagnosis of glaucoma disease", by Muhammad Salman Haleem
- 15/05/2015, Many congratulations to Muhammad Salman Haleem who has successfully defended his PhD viva
- 22/04/2015, An invited talk at UCLAN "Big data processing and data analytics on images", by Dr. Liangxiu Han
- 15/04/2015, An invited talk at SEBP 2015, Society Evidence Based Policing Annual Conference on "Automatic ICT-enabled Approaches to Detection and Prevention of Cyberbullying", by Dr. Liangxiu Han
- 18/12/2014, An invited talk at British Library "Large-scale data processing and data analytics on images ( applications to Health, Food)" by Dr. Liangxiu Han. You may register your interest at here: https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/curious-images-tickets-14438270255.
- 2/12/2014, Research seminar at Division of Geography and Environmental Management (Dr. James Cheng, Dr. Jianguang Tu and Dr. Liangxiu Han. You can download slides here
- 26/11/2014, MMU funding, "DIVINE: Building a wearable device for intelligent control of environment using Google Glass": 2015 ( PI: Dr. Liangxiu Han, Co-PI: Nick Whittaker)
- 24/09/2014, We are hosting and organising 2015 European Intelligence and Security Informatics Conference (EISIC 2015), which will take place from http://www.eisic.org/eisic2015/call.aspx.
- 06/07/2014, Sustainable Society Network+ Award (RCUK--Digital Economy): 2014-2015, COPE--automatic diagnosis of crop diseases from images ( PI: Dr. Liangxiu Han), in collaboration with Fera (Food and Environment Research Agency)
- 24/06/2014, Public professorial lecture- "Surfing the data tsunami: A new paradigm for big data processing and analytics" ( by Dr. Liangxiu Han). Please register your interest at here https://l-han50lect.eventbrite.co.uk ". You can download the presentation here
- 28/05/2014, MMU funding, Parallel Computation for Sustainable Accessibility-based Planning Support (Co-PI: Dr. Liangxiu Han), In collaboration with Dr. James Cheng (PI) from School of Science and Environment, MMU and Dr. Jianguang Tu (Co-PI) from international school of software, Wuhan university, China.
- 02/05/2014, Welcome our new group member Nick Whittaker
- 02/04/2014, Welcome our new group member Dr. Robert Hegarty!
- 5/03/2014, Group Seminar Talk Series "Applying Wireless Sensor Networks to Solve Real-world Problems" by the group member: Dr. Mohammad Hammoudeh
- 5/02/2014, Group Seminar Talk Series " Occupancy Pattern Detection for Energy Efficiency and Comfort Management in Buildings Based on Environmental Sensing" by the group member: Jose Gomez Ortega.
- 11/12/2013, A paper "Automatic Data Reuse for Accelerating Data Intensive Applications in the Cloud", presented in IEEE the 8th Internet Technology and Secured Transactions (ICITST-2013) (by Dr. Liangxiu Han, co-coauthors: Zheng Xie and Richard Baldock)
- 22/11/2013, A paper "Augmented Petri Net Cost Model for Optimisation of Large Bioinformatics Workflows Using Cloud", presented in IEEE 7th European Modelling Symposium on Mathematical Modelling and Computer Simulation, IEEE EMS2013 (by member Dr. Zheng Xie, co-coauthors, Liangxiu Han and Richard Baldock)
- 13/11/2013,Group Seminar Talk series: "RFID from Farm to Fork" by the invited Speaker: Professor Robert Newman. Slides
- 15/10/2013, A paper "Understanding Low Back Pain using Fuzzy Association Rule Mining", presented in IEEE System, Man and Cybernetics, SMC2013 (by Dr. Maybin Muyeba, co-authors: Sandra Liews, Liangxiu Han and John A. Keane)
- 20/09/2013, Welcome new member of PhD student --- Jose luis gomez ortega who will be working on "Occupancy Pattern Detection for Energy Efficiency and Comfort Management in Buildings Based on Environmental Sensing"
- 11/09/2013, A paper "Enhancing Parallelism of Data-Intensive Bioinformatics Applications", presented in 8th EUROSIM Congress on Modelling and Simulation (EUROSIM 2013) (by Member Dr. Zheng Xie, co-coauthors, Liangxiu Han and Richard Baldock)
- 26/08/2013, A paper "Fuzzy Classification in Web Usage Mining using Fuzzy Quantifiers", presented in The 2013 IEEE/ACM International Conference on Advances in Social Networks Analysis and Mining - Web Behavior Analytics (WBA) (by member Dr. Maybin Muyeba, co-author: Liangxiu Han)
- 23/08/2013, ZEMCH Network--England Regional Center (ICT for Energy) is alive, you can join it at Linkedin here
- 31/07/2013, The workshop on “Big" Data Processing and Analytics in Biomedical Research. Register a place at
- 01/05/2013, Group Seminar Talk Series: Smart House and Smart Environment Development ( By Associate member, Nick Whittaker)
- 28/03/2013, Group Seminar Talk Series: Data Mining: Challenges, Algorithms, and Applications (by the group member, Dr. Maybin Muyeba)
- 26/02/2013, Group Seminar Talk Series: Automatic Detection of Optic Disc Boundary using Active Shape Models (by the group member, Muhammad-Salman Haleem)
- 7/01/2013, A fully funded PhD studentship in relation to "Occupancy Pattern Detection for Energy Efficiency and Comfort Management in Buildings Based on Environmental Sensing" (The duration of the project will be from 2013-2016). The specific requirements is available here (http://www2.mmu.ac.uk/research/studentships/scienceandengineering/) ( DOS: Dr. Liangxiu Han)
- 26/11/2012, Welcome our new member of research staff (Postdoctoral Research Associate) -- Dr. Zheng Xie who is working on BBSRC-funded AGILE project!
- 31/10/2012, Group Seminar Talk Series: Java for High Performance Cloud Computing ( by our visiting fellow Dr. Guillermo López Taboada) PDF
- 28/10/2012, Welcome our visiting fellow: Dr. Guillermo López Taboada from University of A Corunna
- 21/09/2012, The paper presentation is given by Dr. Liangxiu Han at GRID 2012:13th IEEE/ACM International Confernece on Grid Computing, Tsinghua University, P.R.China.
- 20/09/2012, An invited talk is given by Dr. Liangxiu Han at Beihang University, P.R. China
- 24/07/2012, A New Vacancy!!! A RA is being recruited! Please also find the adverts in
http://www.jobs.ac.uk/job/AEW385/research-associate-ref-g2-3029, and www.mymanchesterjobs.co.uk.
- 18/07/2012, Invited Talk given by Dr. Liangxiu Han at Open Science Data Cloud (OSDC), NSF, PIRE workshop, at the School of Informatics, University of Edinburgh
- 06/06/2012, BBSRC Grant (2012-2013) AGILE: A Cloud Approch to Automatic Gene Expression Pattern Recognition and Annotation over Large-Scale Images, In Collaboration with MRC, Human Genetics Unit, University of Edinburgh (PI, Dr. Liangxiu Han). A Postdoctoral RA will be recruited for this project and job specification for this post will be available soon!
- 28/05/2012, Higher Education Grant (PI, Dr. Liangxiu Han), two Interships are available! RA1 and RA2
- 02/02/2012, Group Seminar Talk Series 3: Vectorisation of Sparse Matrix Dense Vector Multiplication (by group member Dr. Andy Nisbet)
- 08/12/2011, Amazon Education Research Grant Award (2011-2013) for large-scale data analysis in the cloud (to Dr. Liangxiu Han, in collaboration with MRC, Human Genetics Unit, University of Edinburgh)
- 04/11/2011, Group Seminar Talk Series 2: A self-organising algorithm for mobile wireless sensor networks (by group member Abdelrahman Abuarqoub)
- 27/10/2011, Group Seminar Talk Series 1: "An overview and classification of approaches to information Extraction in wireless sensor" (by group member Tariq Alsbooey)
- 26/07/2011 Two PhD studentships available!
- EPSRC Dorothy Hodgkin Postgraudate Award (2011-2015): open to International students! Deadline: 1, August, 2011, please refer to application details at: http://www.findaphd.com/search/ProjectDetails.aspx?PJID=33263&LID=1036 <http://www.findaphd.com/search/ProjectDetails.aspx?PJID=33263&LID=1036>
- University Studentship-open to UK/EU home students! Deadline: 26, August, 2011, please refer to application details at: http://www.findaphd.com/search/ProjectDetails.aspx?PJID=34149&LID=1036 <http://www.findaphd.com/search/ProjectDetails.aspx?PJID=34149&LID=1036>