skip to content | Accessibility Information

Learn to navigate

Sunday, 23rd April 2017

Come and spend a day learning map reading skills and keeping safe on the mountains.
Walk Start Point; 10:00 - Cricket pitch car park, White Coppice Village (PR6 9DE).

Walk length 4-5 hours, grade 3.
Book your place for £8.50 via the online shop.

(Walks vary in grades from grade 1 being very easy to grade 5 being very difficult.)

Many staff turn up to their first walk by themselves and by the end of it have made great friends across the university. 

What do I need?
Walking boots, rucksack, packed lunch, water (plenty to eat and drink), clothing as appropriate for forecast conditions i.e. waterproofs, hat, glove. Sunscreen/sunglasses in the unlikely event we have a sunny forecast, trekking poles if used, camera, any of your own medication e.g inhalers etc.
If anyone is struggling for what to wear please see advice from the people at mountain safety here. Remember waterproofs and firm footwear/ walking boot type shoes

Who takes us on the walks?
Walks are led by freelance instructor Chris Gregson. Chris has worked as a mountain leader for the past 11 years and as an outdoor instructor for 13 years.

What does the cost for the walks cover?
We would love to be able offer the trips for free but they do cost us a considerable amount to put on. As a general rule MMU Sport cover an average of 75% of the cost of any one hill walking trip. Your money goes toward covering the other 25%. Helping towards minibus hire, petrol, instructors and any equipment needed for the trip. See costs for each walk below.

How can I get there?
We try to make the walks as convenient as possible to get to. Transport leaves from our Platt Lane Facility at 9am, with the option to leave any cars in the Platt Lane Car Park. We also have a train station pick up point - 9.45am at Horwich. 

Event contact: Abi Dean · 0161 247 6881 · A.Dean@mmu.ac.uk