Manchester Metropolitan University

Money matters for 2016 starters

Manage your money, discover and apply for financial support available to you, for students starting university in 2016.

Our undergraduates who started in 16/17 and earlier will see no increase in their fees providing they complete their course in the normal timeframe (as indicated on their offer letter).

Cost of university

There are two main costs you will have whilst studying and if you are a home student studying on a full-time course, you can apply for student finance to cover both of these:

  • Your tuition fees for each year of your course.

  • Help with your living costs e.g. rent, food, clothing, course materials, entertainment.

You can apply for this support through the central loans company for your country, no matter which university you choose to study at e.g. an English student would apply via Student Finance England. The type and amount of support varies according to your country of residence and you can find detailed information on the relevant website:

Remember that you need to re-apply for your student finance for each year of your course.

Tuition fees

You can find the tuition fees for each course in our eProspectus.

It is important to remember that you won’t pay anything upfront for your tuition. All new, undergraduate students are entitled to a loan to cover their tuition fees. Your fees will be a maximum of £9,000. The Tuition Fee Loan is paid directly to the University by the Student Loans Company once you arrive during Welcome Week and collect your MMU ID card.

The Tuition Fee Loan is paid directly to the University by the Student Loans Company so you will not receive it personally.

Our undergraduates who started in 16/17 and earlier will see no increase in their fees providing they complete their course in the normal timeframe (as indicated on their offer letter).

Living costs

A Maintenance Loan will be available for new, full-time undergraduate students. This is to help you to pay for your living costs, including rent, food, clothing, course materials etc. You will receive part of this amount at the end of Welcome Week, once you have collected your ID card and Manchester Met have confirmed to Student Finance that you have arrived, with the remainder paid in instalments at the start of each subsequent term in January and April. The amount of loan you will receive will vary, depending on where you chose to live whilst you study and on your household income.

The figures below are for students from England starting in 2016.

Students living at home

Household income £ per yearMaximum loan for living costs £ per yearMaximum tuition fee loan £ per yearMaximum borrowed (excluding interest) £ per year
25,000 6,904 9,000 15,904
30,000 6,322 9,000 15,322
35,000 5,740 9,000 14,740
40,000 5,158 9,000 14,158
42,875 4,824 9,000 13,824
45,000 4,576 9,000 13,576
50,000 3,994 9,000 12,994
55,000 3,412 9,000 12,412
58,201+ 3,039 9,000 12,039

Students living away from home (outside of London)

Household income £ per yearMaximum loan for living costs £ per yearMaximum tuition fee loan £ per yearMaximum borrowed (excluding interest) £ per year
25,000 8,200 9,000 17,200
30,000 7,612 9,000 16,612
35,000 7,023 9,000 16,023
40,000 6,434 9,000 15,434
42,875 6,095 9,000 15,095
45,000 5,845 9,000 14,845
50,000 5,256 9,000 14,256
55,000 4,667 9,000 13,667
60,000 4,078 9,000 13,078
62,180+ 3,821 9,000 12,821

Check what you are entitled to with the Student Finance England calculator.

Student Support Package 2016/17

We offer a £1,000 per year Student Support Package for new, full-time, first year undergraduate students.

The Student Support Package is available to every UK undergraduate full-time student coming from a household with an income up to and including £25,000.

Find out more

Academic Achievement Bursary for 2016 entry

Manchester Metropolitan University is committed to recognising high achieving students.

That’s why we are offering a £1,500 Academic Achievement Bursary for students who join us in September 2016 with good grades at A level (or certain equivalents) and GCSE English and Mathematics.

Find out more

Other scholarships and bursaries

Care Leavers Bursary

Care leavers at MMU can also apply for an additional cash bursary of £1000 per year.

Sports Scholarships

Our Sport Scholarship programme supports talented athletes from a variety of sporting backgrounds as they combine a demanding training and competition programme with study for a world-class degree.

Manchester School of Art credit

If you are studying on a course in The Manchester School of Art, we will credit your met card with up to £200 to help you to cover the additional costs of materials associated with art and design practice based courses.

Students on NHS funded courses

Students on our Adult Nursing, Physiotherapy, and Speech Pathology and Therapy courses apply for NHS funding, rather than the standard student finance package.

You can apply for:

  • full payment of your tuition fees

  • a non-means tested grant

  • a means tested bursary

  • a reduced Maintenance Loan (through Student Finance England).

You can apply for the NHS funding once you have secured your place on a qualifying course. Applications are through the Bursary Online Support System (BOSS).

Social work students

Social Work students can apply for the standard Student Finance England package but may also be eligible for a bursary in the form of a non-means tested basic grant in the second and third years of study. There are a limited number of bursaries available and so there is no guarantee that you will receive a bursary.

Access to Learning Fund

If you do run into financial difficulty, you may be entitled to some additional support through the Access to Learning Fund. The fund is a limited amount of money that the university will either grant or loan to a student depending on their needs and situation. In order to qualify, you will have to meet a number of criteria, provide evidence and complete an application.

Alumni scholarships for new undergraduate students

A number of scholarships, bursaries and prizes, funded by donations from alumni, staff and other benefactors are available. For more information about eligibility and how to apply, visit Giving.

Part-time students

If you are studying part-time, you are entitled to apply for a Tuition Fee Loan of up to £6,750 depending on the number of credits you take. In order to qualify you must be studying at least 25% of an equivalent full-time course each year.

You will not be entitled to a Maintenance Loan, but if your household income is £25,000 or below, you will be eligible to apply for our Part-time Student Support Package. This would take the form of a fee waiver. The amount of fee waiver you are eligible for will depend on how many credits you are enrolled on (and have been charged for) in each academic year.

If you have a disability, you may be able to apply for the Disabled Students’ Allowance. The amount you can get will be affected by your ‘course intensity’ i.e. how long your course takes to complete each year compared to an equivalent full-time course.

Mature or independent students

Independent students

If you’re an independent student, Student Finance England won’t take your parents’ income into account when working out the household income and contribution. However, the income of your wife/husband or partner may be considered.

You’re an independent student if you meet one of the following conditions:

  • You have the care of a person under the age of 18.

  • You’re 25 or over.

  • You’ve been married or in a civil partnership.

  • You’ve supported yourself for at least three years before the start of your course.

If you are unsure if you qualify, contact Student Finance England for a full list of criteria.

Extra help is also available to students with children or dependent adults:

You can apply for the above via your main Student Finance application and you may be required to supply some additional information.

If you are a mature student returning to education, you can find useful advice on our mature students pages.

Applying for student finance

Follow these steps to make sure that your student finance is in place for the start of your course.

  1. Applications usually open in late January. You don’t need to have accepted a place at university yet. Use your preferred choice of course and you can always log in and change this later if you need to. You will need:

    • your passport

    • details of your university and course

    • your bank details

    • your National Insurance number.

  2. If you need to provide details of your household income, you will need to enter your parent’s email address when completing your application. They will then receive an email with instructions on how to create an account to support your application.

  3. If you wish to be considered for our Student Support Package, then you need to give your consent to share your household income details with the University. Your parents will also need to consent to this.

  4. Student Finance England may request evidence or further information so you will need to send in supporting documents.

  5. Once the assessment is complete, you will receive a Student Finance Entitlement Letter that will detail exactly how much support you can receive. It’s really important that you sign and return the declaration form that comes with the letter or you won’t receive the loans.

  6. Make sure you apply before the deadline of 31st May 2016. After this date, your student finance may not be in place for the start of your course.

  7. Enrol online in August and then collect your MMU ID card during Welcome Week. We will activate this and tell Student Finance England that your enrolment is complete.

  8. Your Tuition Fee Loan will be paid direct to the University and you will receive the first instalment of your Maintenance Loan.

Don’t forget that you need to re-apply for your student finance for each year of your course.

What is a Metcard?

"If you are a full time undergraduate or foundation year student, you will automatically be issued with a met card. You can load the card with money to spend on a variety of goods and services in and around campus including food and drink, print and IT services, sports and leisure, stationery and books. If you qualify for our Student Support Package (and are not staying in our accommodation), your support will be credited to your met card.

All other students can apply for a met card via the web page below.

You can find more information about the range of services available to purchase with the met card at

Students with disabilities

If you have a disability, may be entitled to a Disabled Students’ Allowance (DSA).How much you get depends on your individual needs. You will need to apply for your Student Finance first and then fill in an additional application form for the DSA. The DSA is available to full and part-time students. If you disclose your disability on the UCAS form, our Disability Service will contact you with an information pack. If you accept an offer of a place at the University, they can also support you with your DSA application.

Students from EU countries

If you are a student from another EU country, you will be entitled to a Tuition Fee Loan to cover the cost of your tuition fees. Your entitlement to any other forms of support will depend on your situation, and you may be entitled to support from your home country. You should apply for your fee loan through Student Finance England. For more information about the impact of the EU referendum result on EU students in 16/17, please visit our EU referendum information hub.

Managing your money

Advice and tips from current students on how to make your money stretch further.

Find out more

For more information download the Student Finance guide for 2016/17

Further details, including full terms and conditions, can be found on the Financial and Legal Services Student pages.

Undergraduate Study