Friday, 8 December 2017 at 9:00 am – Saturday, 9 December 2017 at 10:00 pm
Encountering Corpses III
Location: Manchester Metropolitan University Business School, All Saints, All Saints Campus, Manchester, M15 6BH
This two-day conference is the concluding event of the ESRC Research Seminar Series ‘Encountering Corpses’ (2014-17) and the third international symposium on ‘Encountering Corpses’ (following events in Manchester in 2014 and 2016).
Encountering Corpses III will include an exciting mix of presentations from post-graduates, leading academics in the field and featured keynote speakers.
The Encountering Corpses projects and events focus on the many ways in which we increasingly encounter the material remains of the dead in a variety of contexts, including popular culture, the media, the everyday, tourism, heritage and archaeology, and medical contexts. The focus is on what these encounters mean for our relationships to the dead, which is explored through a mixture of academic papers, creative and cultural experiences, interactions with dead bodies and sites containing the dead, and discussion and reflection.
- Prof. Catherine Nash, School of Geography, Queen Mary University of London
- Dr Ruth Penfold-Mounce, Department of Sociology, University of York
- Ass. Prof. Margaret M. Schwartz, Assistant Professor of Communication and Media Studies at Fordham University, USA
Convened by Craig Young, Professor of Human Geography at Manchester Metropolitan University
The conference will be accompanied by a series of free creative cultural experiences and performances, including a poetry reading from Michael Symmons Roberts, music and an exhibition.
- £25 full price 2 days
- £15 full price 1 day
- £15 PhD student/ Associate/ Hourly paid/ unemployed 2 days
- £5 PhD student/ Associate/ Hourly paid/ unemployed 1 day
Buy tickets on the Manchester Met online shop.