The Faculty of Arts and Humanities Undergraduate Research Scholarship's gives second year undergraduate students the chance to provide 5 weeks of high-quality research support to academics during the Summer.
In addition to receiving an award of £1000, the student scholarship holders will enhance their knowledge and understanding of academic research (preferably, in preparation of their final-year project). The aim of the scholarship scheme is also to inspire students to pursue further academic study at postgraduate level.
Benefits of the scholarships
In addition to receiving a £1,000 award, as a Scholar you will:
- Gain valuable experience in academic research and organisation and management of project work (in preparation of your final-year project)
- Work with an experienced academic researcher on a live research project
- Gain direct experience of, and become more integrated within, the Faculty's research and knowledge exchange culture
- Gain insight into the academic and professional development opportunities of postgraduate study
- Further develop your research, organisational and interpersonal skills
- Gain skills that will enhance your future employment prospects and expand your CV
If you are awarded a scholarship, you will:
- Be committed to undertaking the research as set out in the original proposal within the timescale agreed with the academic project lead at the outset
- Attend weekly meetings with the academic lead for the project to update progress
- Attend an interview workshop prior to being shortlisted
- Complete a final reflective report, produce a blog post about the project which will be published on the website and a poster to be displayed as part of the Faculty's Undergraduate Showcase
- Become involved in publicising the scholarships in future years and actor as a mentor to future applicants
An average mark of 58% or above at Level 4.
Schedule for applications
- January 2018 – Project call to academic researchers
- February 2018 – Project proposals published and applications open
- March 2018 – Deadline for applications
- April 2018 – Announcement of Scholarship Awards
- June/July 2018 – Scholarships begin
Once you’ve looked through the different projects on offer this year you can complete the online application form by clicking the link below. Remember that you can only apply to one project so please choose carefully!
To be eligible to apply for a scholarship, you must:
- Be registered for an undergraduate degree in the Faculty of Arts and Humanities.
- Be in the second year of study in 2017/18.
- Be able to undertake the research (approx. 36 hours/week) between June and August 2018 (the exact dates will be confirmed with your academic project lead if you are successful).
Please submit the form by 4pm on Monday 16th April 2018. We aim to inform all applicants whether their application is successful in April.
If you have any issues with the form please contact Annabel Kiernan.
Read our terms and conditions
Fourteen Undergraduate Research Scholarships are available to second year undergraduate students registered on a programme in the Faculty of Arts and Humanities. Each scholarship holder will undertake full-time research supported by a member of academic staff for a period of five weeks between June and August 2018.
If you are awarded a scholarship you will:
- Be committed to undertaking the research as set out in the original proposal within the timescale agreed at the outset. Scholars are expected to undertake at least 36 hours of research during each week of the scholarship.
- Agree with the academic project lead the exact five weeks of the summer vacation when the scholarship work will be undertaken.
- Attend weekly monitoring meetings with the academic project lead and at these meetings demonstrate the progress that has been made in the previous week.
- Receive £1000 award.
- Have the use of a PC on campus for the duration of the scholarship
- Complete a final feedback form on the running of the scheme, a short reflective report, a blog post, and a poster (guidance will be provided).
- Be willing to become involved in publicising the scholarships in future years and mentor future scholars.
In addition to the monetary rewards, the students awarded scholarships will:
- Gain valuable experience in undertaking significant academic research.
- Contribute to the development of new knowledge.
- Work in partnership with academic staff.
- Become more aware of and be more integrated within the Faculty’s research culture.
- Gain insight into undertaking postgraduate study.
- Develop skills that will enhance future employment prospects and broaden their CV.
To be eligible for a scholarship, you must:
- Be registered for an undergraduate degree in the Faculty of Arts and Humanities. (Subject to any UK Border Agency Policy regarding visa students, this scheme is open to home/EU and overseas students.).
- Be in the second year of study in 2017/18.
- Complete the application form on the next page and submit it by 4pm on Monday 16th April 2018.
- Be able to undertake the research between June and August 2018.
Please note that each student can only apply for one undergraduate scholarship project. This is to ensure that the scholarships benefit the maximum number of students.
If you encounter any difficulties with the application form, please contact Annabel Kiernan.