skip to content | Accessibility Information

Frequently Asked Questions

Find the answer you are looking for by selecting a question below. 


What are the opening times for the Brooks building?

The Brooks building will be open (all year round) on the following days and times:

Monday - Thursday  7.00 - 22.30 
Friday  7.00 - 20.15
Saturday  8.00 - 17.30
Sunday 11.00 - 18.30

During term time the Birley cafe is open:

Monday - Friday  8.00 - 20.00
Friday 8.00 - 16.00
Saturday  9.00 - 16.00
Sunday  Closed 

Outside of term time the Birley cafe is open:

Monday - Thursday  8.00 - 20.00
Friday  8.00 - 15.00
Saturday / Sunday Closed 

Have the buildings at Birley been given names?

Yes. The building names are below:

  • Academic Building – Brooks Building
  • Energy Centre – The Robert Angus Smith Energy Centre
  • Accommodation Block A – Dale
  • Accommodation Block B – Naylor
  • Accommodation Block C – Warde
  • Accommodation Block D1 – Vine House
  • Accommodation Block D2 – Dunham House

What is the address for Birley?

The address for the main academic building is:

Brooks Building Birley Campus 53 Bonsall Street Manchester M15 6GX

Is there a shop on site (if so selling what?)

As part of the residential accommodation development, Vine House (fronting Stretford Road) has been designed to incorporate flexible commercial/retail space on the ground floor. A Co-operative food and Café Grano have recently opened in this space. There are also a number of shops in and around Birley Campus including a post office, pharmacy, a small supermarket and cafes/ eateries.

Is there a cash point on site?

Should a retail outlet look to make use of the commercial space available in Vine House, then they may choose to install a cash point. We will keep people updated through the Birley website.

Facilities for community use

Is Birley open to members of the local community?

As a community campus, individuals and groups are welcome to use the facilities at Brooks Building. The best time to access facilities for community use is outside of term-time, evenings or weekends. Please note that availability of space is subject to the University’s teaching, sporting and conferencing commitments. The public can also access the open spaces at Birley which include a community orchard, wetland area, woodland area and sustainability trail.

To discuss what facilities are available for the local community please contact the Public Engagement Team on 0161 247 3393 or email

What facilities are available?

The ground floor facilities are open to members of the local community and include:

  • Birley Café serving a selection of hot and cold drinks, snacks, sandwiches and cakes.
  • Birley Kitchen serving hot dishes, salads and sandwiches.
  • Meeting rooms and informal meeting spaces.
  • Large drama and dance studio with seminar room and changing facilities, equipped to support professional drama and dance classes and practice.
  • 4 large lecture theatres featuring first-class AV equipment.
  • Multi-purpose hall, the largest open space in the building with retractable seating for 200 and with the flexibility to accommodate sports, events, drama, production and public events.
  • The ground floor also has a teaching clinic for local health practice.

Further information

Will facilities be available free of charge?

MMU would like to support as much community activity on campus as possible, while complementing existing provision in the local area. If you are a local voluntary organisation or group space is generally available free of charge. If you are a commercial organisation, or have larger events requirements you should direct your enquiry to the conference and events team on 0161 247 1565 or in the first instance.

For further information on current pricing structures email

How can I book space?

If you would like to make an enquiry about booking space at Birley please contact Manchester Met’s Public Engagement Team on 0161 247 3393 or email

Can I access the IT Facilities at Birley?

Members of the community can access IT facilities at Birley with an MMU Guest Login, which are allocated as part of organised events and workshops. Unfortunately, due to IT security issues we are unable to offer open access to the computer suites and WiFi network.  

If you have a specific request for use i.e. job searching, CV writing, please contact This will help us to find out how you would like to use the IT facilities and what workshops or activities we could support.

Is the Clinic open to members of the community?

The Clinic at MMU is run by the Faculty of Health, Psychology and Social Care and is open to staff, students and members of the community. The Clinic offers high quality Acupuncture and Physiotherapy treatments and highly qualified and experienced staff can treat a wide range of conditions and problems. There is also a student clinic that offers acupuncture and sports massage treatments at greatly reduced prices. To find out more or book an appointment email the or contact 0161 247 6837.




Employment and training

How many local people have been employed on site?

During construction of the Birley Campus, contractor Sir Robert McAlpine recruited 44% of its workforce from the Greater Manchester area, while GB Building Solutions achieved employment figures of 60% from Manchester and 12% from Hulme and Moss Side. 

How can I apply for jobs at the Birley Campus?

The roles required at Birley are varied and could include: domestic assistants, receptionists, administrative support, managerial and academic positions. Jobs at the University are not restricted to Birley and we would encourage local residents to look at opportunities across the wider Manchester campus. As opportunities become available, they will be posted on the jobs website

How can I find out about studying at Manchester Met?

Our open days are a great way to find out about our courses. Visit our study pages for further information. We also encourage applications from mature students and offer tailored sessions to support those who have had a break from education. 

Find out more

How can I find out about training opportunities?

For a list of future training opportunities and events, visit our Future Events section for further information. 

Events and activities

Are there any events and activities planned for the local community?

At the first Birley Community Day in October 2015 we received some great ideas for future events and activities. Working with our community partners we will deliver some of these activities at Birley and the wider Manchester Campus over the coming year. All forthcoming events will be listed in the Events Section.   

Do you have funding to support community projects?

The Faculty of Health, Psychology and Social Care are currently running a new scheme to work in partnership with community groups called Community Research Awards. The Faculty is looking to fund up to four projects that will last for six months. The closing date for applications is Monday 7th December 2015. For further information contact or call 0161 247 4685.

Travel and Parking

Is there secure, free parking for both motorcycles and pushbikes?

Yes. In addition to the 139 secure bicycle parks for staff and students, and 75 cycle stands across Birley which are available for general use, the MMU environment team have recently announced further funding to provide more cycle storage on campus. 

Is car parking available for patients using the acupuncture and physiotherapy clinics?

Yes. There is a car park outside the Academic building, which will is allocated to disabled users and visitors.

Contact The Clinic @ MMU for further information

Local impact

Has there been an increase in local resources to minimise the impact of 6,500 new staff and students arriving in the area?

Manchester Met is working in close partnership with colleagues at Manchester City Council, Greater Manchester Police and local organisations to ensure minimal impact to existing public services in the area.  Further details will be posted to the Birley website in due course.

How do I apply for volunteers to support local projects and events?

MMU Futures is a volunteer scheme which helps students take part in a host of different community events and projects. You can find out more and apply for volunteers through the MMU Futures website.

The Students’ Union (MMUnion) also runs a number of volunteering projects in partnership with local schools and charities. If you are a charity or not-for-profit organisation, you can visit the MMUnion volunteering scheme website to find out more.

Will there be an increase in students renting property in the local area?

Contact Manchester Student Homes for further information. 

How can I report disruptive student behaviour?

At Manchester Met we want to ensure that all of our students act responsibly and neighbourly, and are aware of the local communities around them when they live in halls. We recognise however, that sometimes there are issues relating to noise and behaviour, and we encourage residents to report any problems they may be having.

There are two different ways that you can raise these concerns dependant on the nature of the complaint.

  1. If the issue requires a non-police response, then we ask that you call MMU Security who provide round the clock patrols and can respond to resident’s reports. The contact number for MMU Security is: 0161 247 1334.
  2. If the issues does not require a response immediately, but you would still like to ensure a report is made, then you can reach the Universities Neighbourhood Helpline on 0161 275 1863 or The Neighbourhood Helpline is funded by both Manchester Met and the University of Manchester, and is a 24-hour voicemail service, which will log and respond to your report. 


How can I get involved in the university’s sustainability activities?

There are lots of ways you can get involved in sustainability activities at Birley including: 

Sustainability Trail

You can take a self-led tour and find out more about some of the sustainability design aspects and technologies on Campus.

Birley Community Orchard

The Birley Community Orchard is a space created for the community, as well as the staff and students at Manchester Metropolitan University. We'll be working with Hulme Community Garden Centre, staff, students and the local community to take care of the Community Orchard. We're looking for Manchester Met staff and students, and communities to take part in orchard maintenance workshops throughout the year. Find out more

Pick your own

As part of the Birley Sustainability Trail there are options for staff, students and local community to ‘pick your own’ and enjoy what we are growing on our edible campus. Find out more

Hulme Woodland Project

We are looking for volunteers from across the University, Hulme and Manchester community to help us with a new and exciting project at MMU Birley Campus.

Two areas are to be developed into useable woodland areas in the coming months. The areas will be positioned next to the community orchard at Birley and marks our continued partnership with Hulme Community Garden Centre, who have also nurtured our organic orchard fruit trees.