Working Abroad


Many students choose to work abroad throughout their studies or after graduation. Some students may also choose to undertake further study in another country, or study abroad as part of their degree programme. Working and studying abroad can enhance your employability, helping you to develop your skills whilst experiencing other cultures and perspectives.


Getting Started


Before starting your research, you should take some time to examine your motives.

The answers to these questions will help to determine your strategy – where you look for jobs, who to target, how you go about making applications etc.


What types of work experience are there?


Consider the 4 Questions to Help you Make Career Decisions


Complete the Develop a Plan learning module


Do your research


The process of arranging work abroad can be time consuming, it is essential that you do your research and plan ahead. As well as understanding how to find opportunities and the application process, you will also need to think about practical issues such as visas, income and accommodation.

Provides detailed profiles on over 20 countries, with information on visas, local labour market, finding job vacancies, work experience and study.


Gives country specific information on working and living abroad including language requirements, job hunting tips, application methods and visa basics on over 20 countries.

Important Sources of Information


Finding Opportunities


There are numerous job boards and vacancy sources that provide information about overseas opportunities. The following are just a few of the more specialist sites that are available for students and graduates.

Overseas internships and exchange programmes

The following schemes offer UK students the chance to gain work experience abroad:

AIESEC (Association Internationale des Etudiants en Sciences Economiques et Commerciales) offers international internships from 6 weeks to 18 months for students and recent graduates. 

IAESTE (International Association for the Exchange of Students for Technical Experience) provides science, engineering and applied arts undergraduates with paid relevant work experience abroad.

Council on International Educational Exchange (CIEE) helps students find work in the USA for a fixed time, after which students are required to return.


Teaching English as a Foreign Language (TEFL)

TEFL is a popular way to gain experience working abroad. Teaching English as a foreign language (TEFL) involves teaching adults and children whose first or main language is not English. provides detailed information on TEFL work here:

There are a wide range of courses available in TEFL, but the two which offer the best chance of finding work and which are accepted overseas as evidence of thorough and rigorous initial training are:

Cambridge CELTA (Certificate in English Language Teaching to Adults)

Trinity Cert ESOL (Certificate in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages)

A useful website which can give advice on choosing the right TEFL course (giving locations, times and cost) as well as help in finding employment is

For detailed information read our Teaching English as a Foreign Language guide:


Choosing Gap Year/ Travel/ Voluntary Organisations

Overseas projects are often based in the developing world, working with local communities tackling issues around health, social care, education & conservation. Some organisations will pay you to go, others will not cost you much, but some are expensive.

Begin your search

Opportunities in Europe

Opportunities in the USA

Do spend time researching the options and the practical issues of working in the USA, including the complex visa requirements. Some well-established programmes for temporary work, including summer camps are:


Opportunities in the rest of the world

Databases and specialist advice for finding opportunities world-wide:


Check out the Online Careers Centre Learning Bite Considerations for an International Move to find out if working abroad is something you are keen to pursue.


Resources for International Students

GradLink UK provides career information for international students and graduates. GradLink currently includes specific sections for China, South-East Asia (ASEAN), Africa, India, Bangladesh and Canada and the GULF with further country sections to be added soon. 


Studying Abroad

Study Abroad as part of your degree


Many courses at Manchester Metropolitan University offer an option to study abroad for three, six or ten months, at partner universities in countries including Australia, Hong Kong, Japan, the USA, China, Malaysia, Canada and over 20 countries across Europe. There are also summer exchange opportunities open to students of any discipline.

Opportunities to study abroad are competitive. You will need to apply for a place and, to be eligible to go, you must have successfully completed your first year of study, meet all academic requirements set by your department and have the support of your academic department.

For more information, visit the International Office webpage.


Postgraduate Study Abroad


If you are considering postgraduate study overseas, you need to start your research early. The types of postgraduate courses on offer will differ in each country, as well as the application process, funding options and visas.

We recommend you use, and to support you with researching your options online.


How do you find the right course?


Consider the qualification requirements


You'll need to check whether your academic qualifications are acceptable to the institution you wish to apply to. Universities may vary in how they interpret British qualifications and what level of study they see them as equivalent to. For detailed information on European qualification standards and equivalencies visit the ENIC-NARIC website.

Find out if you need to take a Graduate Record Examination (GRE) or Graduate Management Admissions Test (GMAT). If so, you will need to submit your grade with your application. You can find sample questions and test preparation booklets on the relevant websites.

Funding Postgraduate study abroad


Post-graduate tuition fees can vary from £3,000 up to at least £30,000 depending on the course you want to study and where. For information on fees and funding, contact the International Office of the universities that appeal to you and read our guide, Postgraduate Study and Funding.


For more information visit 

Careers and Employability Support

We offer range of support services to Manchester Met students and graduates:

For more information visit