1. Public Sector:
The public sector comprises central government, local government and public corporations, for example:
- Education (Schools, Libraries)
- Emergency Services
- Fire Service
- Gas and Oil
- Law Enforcement
1.1 General Public Sector Job Sites:
- Greaterjobs: Jobs across the 10 Greater Manchester local authorities.
- Fish4: Opportunities in Manchester & the North West.
- The Guardian: The Guardian jobs page.
- Public Sector Careers: Vacancy site.
- Gov.uk: National site giving info on vacancies and support available.
- National Careers Service: Advice centres for adults.
- Jobsgopublic: Vacancy site for public sector and not-for-profit organisations.
- W4MP: Jobs relating to politics (working for an MP), charities and not for profit organisations.
1.3 Social Care Sector:
Many jobs in this sector will be advertised on local authority websites.
- Prospects: To research relevant job profiles.
- Skills for Care: Routes into adult social care.
- NHS Health Careers: Information about the role of a social worker including entry requirements and skills needed.
- Step Up to Social Work: An intensive full-time training programme that covers everything trainee social workers need to know in 14 months. Students who finish the programme successfully qualify with a postgraduate diploma in social work. It does not have an intake every year.
- Frontline: Frontline is a two-year graduate programme for a career in children’s social work.
- Think Ahead: New routes into social work, for graduates and career-changers.
- Social Care National Graduate Training Scheme: Fast-track programme to prepare you to work as a senior manager in healthcare. A related degree is not required.
- Great Social Care: Jobs website.
- CharityJob: For social and community care jobs with charities.
- Social Care: A range of social care jobs.
- Cambian Group: Specialist behavioural health services for children and adults in the UK.
- Prospects: Job profile for community development worker.
- Citizens Advice Bureau: Employer volunteer and paid advisers.
- Advice UK: Support network for independent advice centres.
1.4 Guidance Work & Community Work:
To research relevant job profiles, see the Prospects website:
To get background careers information about the role and contacts/resources see the Prospects website - Housing Manager Job Profile.
- Inside Housing: Jobs in social housing.
- Jobsgopublic: Jobs in the housing sector.
- Planning Jobs: Regeneration jobs.
- Housing.org: National Housing Federation.
- CIH: Chartered Institute of Housing.
- Shelter: The national housing and homelessness charity.
- Local Solutions: Works with vulnerable groups in the North West.
- Compass Online: A pressure group- Offering volunteering opportunities.
- FPC: Leading European think tank- Offering volunteer opportunities.
- Institute for Public Policy Research: Offer internships in London and Newcastle.
- The Social Market Foundation: Offers internships.
- The Centre for European Reform (CER): 6 month Fellowship opportunities.
- The Centre for Social Justice: A think tank established in 2004 with a “consistent hope has been that each person, family and community is given every possible opportunity to reach their full potential”.
- Demos: A cross-party think-tank, with an overarching mission to bring politics closer to people. Demos offers two types of paid internships: research placements are offered within each of their core research and Communications and Events placements support their external affairs team.
- The Legatum Institute: Policy, advocacy and advisory organisation. Internships are offered throughout the year/ advertised when available.
- New Economics Foundation: A 'think and do' tank seeking to improve quality of life by challenging mainstream thinking on economic, environmental and social issues.
- Respublica.org: Offers internships when available.
- New Local Government Network: Offer 12-week research internships (upper rate national living wage).
1.6 Working with Young People:
To research relevant job profiles, see the Prospects website (e.g. Probation Worker, Youth Worker, Learning Mentor in Schools, Community Education Officer, or Museum Education Officer).
Equality & Diversity Officer Job Profile, a role which deals with different equality strands such as gender, race, disability, age, religion and sexual orientation. The information on Prospects also includes typical employers and vacancy sources.
1.8 Public Policy and Social Research:
1.9 Think Tanks & Lobbying Bodies:
Think tank: A body of experts providing advice and ideas on specific political or economic problems.
Lobbyists: A group of people engaged in trying to influence legislators or other public officials in favour of a specific cause.
Most of these organisations are London-based and many offer internships for graduates, usually paying expenses only.
1.10 Probation Service and Related:
If you are interested in this type of work, explore this section of the Prospects website for related job-profiles: Information about becoming a Probation Officer.
Criminology related Academic/Professional Bodies:
1.11 Law Enforcement and Security:
For relevant job profiles, see the Prospects website.
Private Investigation and Security:
A) Local Government:
Local councils employ a huge range of people, in a diverse range of positions, from housing managers to countryside rangers to social workers.
Look at the Prospects website to research related job-profiles.
B) Civil Service:
If you are interested in working in a particular government department, you could also visit their individual sites for information about their work, recruitment policies and the latest recruitment information:
C) European Commission:
D) Opportunities in the UN
1.13 Working for a Trade Union:
Prospects: Job profile for a trade union research officer, also gives typical employers and vacancy sources.
Some of the larger UK based unions:
2. Charities and the Voluntary Sector:
To secure a paid position in a charity it is often necessary to have previously undertaken some relevant voluntary work or to be offering a particular skill. Research related job profiles on the Prospects website.
2.1 General Information:
- Charity Choice: An encyclopaedia of UK charities.
- Ethical Careers: Information about charities, Includes case studies of people doing the jobs, plus news and jobs.
- Guide Star: Useful resource for researching charities registered in England & Wales along with partner sites in Israel, Belgium and India.
- Charity Commission: Contains a register of every charitable organisation in England and Wales.
- Institute of Fundraising: Professional body for UK fundraisers includes a job-search page.
- NCVO: Connecting, representing and supporting voluntary organisations.
2.2 Job Listings:
2.3 Charitable Internships, Volunteering and Graduate Opportunities:
A selection of charities offering internships/placements suitable for graduates. Most are unpaid although some attract a salary. UK and international development internships abroad.
- Charities Advisory Trust: Paid yearly internships.
- Oxfam: Jobs & unpaid internships / placements at Oxfam House and regional offices: HR, marketing, IT, accounting and digital media & specific projects.
- Christian Aid.
- City Year: Offers a year of full-time volunteering in schools.
- Amnesty International.
- ATD Fourth World: An anti-poverty organisation: volunteering.
- Red Cross: Unpaid part-time internships for graduates lasting 8-12 weeks.
- GVI: Run a variety of volunteer projects.
- Restless Development: Youth led development agency with opportunities for interns abroad.
- Development in Action: Placement internships in India and paid & voluntary opportunities in the UK.
- VSO: An international development charity that works through volunteers.
- International Citizen Service (ICS): Government-funded opportunities (18 to 25yrd) volunteer on a development project in Africa, Asia or Latin America. From 3 – 24 months.
- Cancer Research UK: Graduate scheme/ January, June and September & internships.
- British Youth Council: Volunteering / work exp/placement programmes (16-25 yrs).
- Save the Children.
- Volunteering opportunities for the NSPCC and ChildLine
- Young Foundation: Research and action based institute committed to fighting inequality.
- Turning Point: Specialist and integrated services: health, learning disability, substance misuse, primary care, the criminal justice system and employment.
- Look Ahead: Independent living support / London and the South East.
- Great Places: Housing association.
- Groundwork: Regeneration, environment and making communities sustainable.
- Worldland Trust: Offers unpaid six-month graduate internships in Suffolk.
2.4 Specialist Charity Recruitment Agencies:
2.5 Local Volunteering:
3. Ethical Employers:
3.1 Researching Ethical Employers:
See also our Environmental Careers Advice & Opportunities guide [Link to this when published].
3.2 Co-operatives and Mutuals:
Co-operatives are autonomous businesses, non-profit and community organisations run by and for their members.
- Co-ops UK: The national trade body for co-ops which includes a directory of co-operatives searchable locally.
- Co-operative Jobs: Graduate level jobs at the Co-operative Group in a range of business areas.
- Association of Financial Mutuals: The national trade body for financial mutuals and friendly societies. Includes link to member organisations.
4. International Aid Work:
For an overview of this area of work see: