A placement year enables you to gain valuable industry-related work experience, typically over a twelve-month period.
Whether you are in your first or second year, it is never too early to start your placement search.
The benefits of doing a placement
Placements give you more employment options for the future:
- You will get valuable experience in an industry or sector that interests you.
- Gives you the chance to develop key skills that are sought out by graduate recruiters.
- Allows you to explore your options, helping you work out what you want to do when you graduate.
- The majority of students earn a salary whilst on placement.
- Students who undertake a placement tend to gain jobs with higher salaries following graduation.
- You will get the chance to use the skills that you have gained during your studies in a practical environment.
How to find a placement
We advertise placements on Placer (a mobile app which you can download from the App Store and Google Play) and on My Career Hub (log in with your student number and password).
There are also networking opportunities and events with employers where you can find out about placement opportunities direct with employers. Find out more about placement events on My Career Hub.
You should also consider your own contacts, utilising LinkedIn wherever possible to build and engage with your professional networks.
Placement options with your course
Select your faculty or school from the options below to find out more about placement opportunities for your course.
Arts and Humanities
Business and Law
Health, Psychology and Social Care
Manchester Fashion Institute
Manchester School of Art
Science and Engineering