Our work comprises the sub‐topics of Big Data and Text and Data Mining and covers the development of novel methods for big data processing/analytics, text mining and natural language processing.
Our Crime and Wellbeing Big Data Centre (joint with Sociology) applies innovative big data analytical approaches to studying the interplay between the causes and outcomes of crime, health and well‐being and helps our partners (such as Greater Manchester Police) to enhance and streamline their services through improved demand analysis and forecasting.
We are pioneering the use of big data‐driven approaches for precision agriculture via Newton Fund‐supported projects. We also apply our expertise in big data, image processing, and machine learning/pattern recognition to issues such as automated crop disease detection and monitoring, contributing to improved productivity, sustainability and long term economic development of developing countries such as China and Malaysia.
Our work on natural language processing/text mining focusing on hate/extremist/radical speech is unique, in the sense that we are developing a multi‐lingual (English, Arabic and Urdu) and multi‐layered framework for identifying and analysing socio‐politically motivated texts.
- L. Han, D. Hua, J. R. McClellan, L. Han, D.J. Hawkes D. C.Barrattd (2017) A hybrid patient‐specific biomechanical model based image registration method for the motion estimation of lungs, Medical Image Analysis 39, p 87‐100.
- Paul Thompson, Raheel Nawaz, John McNaught, Sophia Ananiadou (2017) Enriching news events with meta‐knowledge information, Language Resources & Evaluation 51: 409.
- Ioannis Korkontzelos, Azadeh Nikfarjam, Matthew Shardlow, Abeed Sarker, Sophia Ananiadou, Graciela H. Gonzalez (2016) Analysis of the effect of sentiment analysis on extracting adverse drug reactions from tweets and forum posts, Journal of Biomedical Informatics, Volume 62, Pages 148‐158, ISSN 1532‐0464.
- M.S.Haleem, L.Han, J. v. Hemert, B. Li and A. Fleming (2015) Retinal area detector from Scanning Laser Ophthalmoscope (SLO) images for diagnosing retinal diseases, IEEE Journal of Biomedical and Health Informatics 19, Issue, 4, p.1472‐1482 (Featured article)
- L. Han, H.Y. Ong, (2015) Parallel data intensive applications using MapReduce: a data mining case study in biomedical sciences, Cluster Computing 18, Issue 1, p.403‐418.
- Sophia Ananiadou, Paul Thompson, Raheel Nawaz, John McNaught, Douglas B. Kell; (2015) Event‐based text mining for biology and functional genomics, Briefings in Functional Genomics, Volume 14, Issue 3, 1 May 2015, Pages 213–230.
- J. Fan, S. Saha, Gary B., K. J. Heesom, F. Ghali, A. R Jones, et al. (2015) Galaxy integrated omics: Web‐based standardscompliant workflows for proteomics informed by transcriptomics, Molecular and Cellular Proteomics 14, issue 11.
- A. Kleerekoper, N. P. Filer, (2014) DECOR: Distributed construction of load balanced routing trees for many to one sensor networks , Ad Hoc Networks 16, p. 225‐236