Currently Senior Lecturer in Computer Science in MMU, I was before, at the University of Plymouth UK, Lecturer, teaching in a range of modules between Cloud Computing and AI, Programme Manager of Computer Systems and Networks and Leader of the Big Data group. Previous experiences as Research Fellow were in London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, UK, and University of Sassari, Italy.
My PhD was in Applied Physics (AI applied to medical imaging) at University of Cagliari and I had a Laurea (MSc+BSc) in Electronic Engineering (path AI) at University of Cagliari, Italy. I obtained also the Postgraduate Certification (PgCert) in Academic Practice at University of Plymouth (UK) and I have the Fellowship of the Higher Education Academy
My current research interests mainly are on machine learning, pattern recognition, machine vision, natural language understanding / grounding and data security/authentication on cloud servers. I have also many years of experiences in medical applications. Furthermore for seven years I was been also system administrator, security officer, and hardware supervisor of the Cybersar supercomputing cluster ( HPC/GRID) at University of Sassari, Italy
Postgraduate Certification (PgCert) in Academic Practice , University of Plymouth (UK).
PhD in Physics at the University of Cagliari, Italy, Thesis : "Artificial Intelligence techniques applied to Medical Physics"
“Laurea” Degree (equivalent MSc+ BSc) in Electronic Engineering, at the University of Cagliari, Italy, Thesis: “Development of algorithms for the classification of fingerprints”
Selection of journals (complete list on Google Scholars https://scholar.google.co.uk/citations?user=MmR1M_AAAAAJ&hl=it&oi=ao )
1) Santos, N., Lentini, S., Grosso, E., Ghita, B. and MASALA, G. Performance Analysis of Data Fragmentation Techniques on a Cloud Server. INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF GRID AND UTILITY COMPUTING, in press 2018.
2) MASALA G. L., Lipsitch M., Bottomley C., Flasche S. Exploring the role of competition induced by non-vaccine serotypes for herd protection following pneumococcal vaccination J. R. SOC. INTERFACE 2017 14 20170620; DOI: 10.1098/rsif.2017.0620. 2017.
3) MASALA, G., Casu, F., Golosio, B., Grosso, E. 2D recurrent neural networks: a high-performance tool for robust visual tracking in dynamic scenes NEURAL COMPUTING AND APPLICATIONS, pp. 1-13. DOI 10.1007/s00521-017-3235-x , 2017
4) Golosio B, Cangelosi A, Gamotina O, MASALA GL, A Cognitive Neural Architecture Able to Learn and Communicate through Natural Language. PLoS ONE 10(11): e0140866, 2015.
5) MASALA, G.L., Grosso, E. Real time detection of driver attention: Emerging solutions based on robust iconic classifiers and dictionary of poses TRANSPORTATION RESEARCH PART C: EMERGING TECHNOLOGIES, 49, pp. 32-42,2014.
6) Golosio, B., Schoonjans, T., Brunetti, A., Oliva, P., MASALA, G.L. Monte Carlo simulation of X-ray imaging and spectroscopy experiments using quadric geometry and variance reduction techniques, COMPUTER PHYSICS COMMUNICATIONS, 185 (3), pp. 1044-1052,2014.
7) MASALA G, Golosio, B., Cutzu, R., Pola, R. A two-layered classifier based on the radial basis function for the screening of thalassaemia. COMPUTERS IN BIOLOGY AND MEDICINE, vol. 43, p. 1724-1731, 2013.
8) Golosio B, Oliva P., Brunetti A, MASALA G, Carpinelli M., Meloni F, G.Battista Meloni. Preliminary study of an angiographic and angio-tomographic technique based on K-edge filters. JOURNAL OF APPLIED PHYSICS, vol. 114, p. 064912-064912-8, 2013.
9) MASALA G, B. Golosio, P. Oliva. An improved Marching Cube algorithm for 3D data segmentation. COMPUTER PHYSICS COMMUNICATIONS, vol. 184, p. 777-782, 2013.
10) P. Cerello , S. C. Cheran , S. Bagnasco , R. Bellotti , L. Bolanos , E. Catanzariti , G. De Nunzio , M. E. Fantacci , E. Fiorina , G. Gargano , G. Gemme , E. L. Torres , G. L. MASALA , C.Peroni , M. Santoro, 3-D object segmentation using ant colonies, PATTERN RECOGNITION, v.43 n.4, p.1476-1490, April, 2010.
11) B. Golosio, G. L. MASALA, A. Piccioli, P. Oliva, M. Carpinelli, R.Cataldo, F. De Carlo, F. Falaschi, M. E. Fantacci , G. Gargano,P. Kasae, M. Torsello, “A novel multi-threshold method for nodule detection in lung CT”, on MEDICAL PHYSICS Vol. 36, Issue 8 , Issue Date Aug-2009.
12) B. Golosio, P. Delogu, I. Zanette, M. Carpinelli, G. L. MASALA, P. Oliva, A. Stefanini, S. Stumbo, Phase contrast imaging simulation and measurements using polychromatic sources with small source-object distances, JOURNAL OF APPLIED PHYSICS, vol. 104(9), 2008.
13) R. Bellotti, P. Cerello, S. Tangaro, V. Bevilacqua, M. Castellano, G. Mastronardi, F. De Carlo, S. Bagnasco, U. Bottigli, R. Cataldo, E. Catanzariti, S.C. Cheran, P. Delogu, I. De Mitri, G. De Nunzio, M. E. Fantacci, F. Fauci, G. Gargano, B. Golosio, P. L. Indovina, A. Lauria, E. Lopez Torres, R. Magro, G. L. MASALA, R. Massafra, P. Oliva, A. Preite Martinez, M. Quarta, G. Raso, A. Retico, M. Sitta, S. Stumbo, A. Tata, S. Squarcia, A. Schenone, E. Molinari and B. Canesi, Distributed medical images analysis on a Grid infrastructure, FUTURE GENERATION COMPUTER SYSTEMS vol. 23 (3), pp. 475-484, 2007
14) U. Bottigli, B. Golosio, G.L. MASALA, P. Oliva, S. Stumbo,P. Delogu, E. Fantacci ,L. Abbene, F. Fauci, G. Raso, “Comparison of two portable solid state detectors with an improved collimation and alignment device for mammographic x-ray spectroscopy” MEDICAL PHYSICS, September, Volume 33, Issue 9, pp. 3469-3477, 2006.
15) F. Fauci, S. Bagnasco, R. Bellotti, D. Cascio, S. C. Cheran, F. De Carlo, G. De Nunzio, M. E. Fantacci, G. Forni, A. Lauria, E.Lopez Torres, R. Magro, G. L. MASALA, P.Oliva, M. Quarta, G. Raso, A. Retico, S.Tangaro, Mammogram Segmentation by Contour Searching and Masses Lesion Classification with Neural Network, IEEE TRANSACTIONS ON NUCLEAR SCIENCE (TNS) Vol. 53, No. 5, pp.2827-2833, 2006
16) Bellotti R., De Carlo F., Gargano G., Maggipinto G., Tangaro S., Castellano M., Massafra R., Cascio D., Fauci F., Magro R., Raso G., Lauria A., Forni G., Bagnasco S., Cerello P.,Cheran S.C., Lopez Torres E., Bottigli U., MASALA G.L., Oliva P., Retico A., Fantacci M.E., Cataldo R., De Mitri I., De Nunzio G., “A completely automated CAD system for mass detection in a large mammographic database”, MEDICAL PHYSICS, Vol. 33, No. 8, pp. 3066-3075, Aug 2006
17) S.Bagnasco, U. Bottigli, P. Cerello, S. Cheran, P. Delogu, M.E. Fantacci, F. Fauci, G. Forni, A. Lauria, E. Lopez Torres, R. Magro, G.L. MASALA, P. Oliva R. Palmiero, L. Ramello, G. Raso, A. Retico, M. Sitta, S. Stumbo, S. Tangaro, E. Zanon, Gpcalma: A Grid-Based Tool For Mammographic Screening on METHODS OF INFORMATION IN MEDICINE, n. 2, pp.244-248, 2005
18) S.R. Amendolia, G. Cossu, M. L. Ganadu, B. Golosio, G.L. MASALA*, G.M. Mura “A Comparative study of K-Nearest Neighbour, Support Vector Machine and Multi-Layer Perceptron for Thalassemia Screening” on CHEMOMETRICS AND INTELLIGENT LABORATORY SYSTEM;69:13-20, 2003.
Selection of Conference proceedings (complete list on Google Scholars https://scholar.google.co.uk/citations?user=MmR1M_AAAAAJ&hl=it&oi=ao )
1) J. Jorgi, B. Golosio, A. Cangelosi, G. L. Masala (2018). “Annabell, a Cognitive System Able to Learn Different Languages” on Frontiers in Artificial Intelligence and Applications, 17th International Conference On Intelligent Software Methodologies, Tools, And Techniques, SOMET 18, Granada (Spain), September 26-28, 2018, http://ebooks.iospress.nl/volumearticle/50003.
2) Palomino M, Ribac Q, MASALA G.L, The Nature of Twitter Trending Topics Analysing Intrinsic Factors Associated with the Twitter Ecosystem, on proceedings of the17th International Conference On Intelligent Software Methodologies, Tools, And Techniques, SOMET 18, Granada (Spain), September 26-28, 2018
3) Santos N., MASALA G L, Big Data Security on Cloud Servers Using Data Fragmentation Technique and NoSQL database on proceedings of the Intelligent Interactive Multimedia: Systems and Services (IIMSS-18), 20-22 June,Gold Coast, Australia, 2018
4) Pota M, Esposito M, Palomino M and MASALA G L, A Subword-based Deep Learning Approach for Sentiment Analysis of Political Tweets on proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Advanced Information Networking and Applications (IEEE AINA-2018) Pedagogical University of Cracow, Poland, May 16-18, 2018
5) Lentini S, Grosso E, MASALA G, A comparison of data fragmentation techniques in cloud servers, on the proceedings of International Conference on Emerging Internet, Data and Web Technologies (EIDWT 2018), Tirana, Albania,15-17 March 2018.
6) Plummer M, Palomino M, MASALA G, Analysing the Sentiment Expressed by Political Audiences on Twitter: The case of the 2017 UK general election, on the proceedings of the The 2017 International Conference on Computational Science and Computational Intelligence (CSCI'17: December 14-16, 2017, Las Vegas, USA)
7) Golosio B, Cangelosi A, Gamotina O, MASALA G, ANNABELL meets iCub: A large scale grounded language learning system, presented on 7th Joint IEEE International Conference on Development and Learning and on Epigenetic Robotics to be held in Instituto Superior Tecnico (IST), Lisbon, Portugal, September 18-21, 2017
8) MASALA G. L, Golosio B., Tistarelli M., Grosso E., 2D Recurrent Neural Networks for Robust Visual Tracking of Non-Rigid Bodies on proceedings of the 17th Engineering Applications of Neural Network Conference (EANN2016), in Aberdeen, UK, from Sept. 2nd to 5th, 2016.
9) Ruiu P., Caragnano G., MASALA G. L., Grosso E., Accessing Cloud Services through Biometrics Authentication on proceedings of the International Conference on Complex, Intelligent, and Software Intensive Systems 6-8 July 2016,Fukuoka Institute of Technology (FIT), Japan, (CISIS-2016)
10) MASALA G.L., Ruiu P.,Brunetti A.,Terzo O.,Grosso E., Biometric Authentication and Data Security in Cloud Computing, on proceedings of the 2015 International Conference on Security and Management (SAM’15), Las Vegas, USA, July 27 – 30, 2015.
11) MASALA G, E. Grosso, A Driver Assistance System based on Multilayer Iconic Classifiers: Model and Assessment on Adverse Conditions, on Proceedings of the 2013 IEEE Conference on Intelligent Transportation Systems, Qingdao, China, October 8-11, 2014.
12) MASALA G, E. Grosso, Detecting Driver Inattention by Rough Iconic Classification. on Proceedings of the 2013 IEEE Intelligent Vehicles Symposium (IV) June 23-26, Gold Coast, Australia. p. 913-918, 2013.
13) Cerello, P., Cheran, S.C., Bagagli, F., Bagnasco, S., Bellotti, R., Bolanos, L., Catanzariti, E., Nunzio,.D., Fiorina, E., Gargano, G., Gemme, G., Torres, E.L., MASALA G, Peroni, C., Santoro, M. The channeler ant model: Object segmentation with virtual ant colonies. In: IEEE Nuclear Science Symposium Conference Record. p. 3147-3152, 2008.
14) I. Gori, R. Bellotti, P. Cerello, S.C. Cheran, G. De Nunzio, M.E. Fantacci, P. Kasae, G.L. MASALA, A. Preite Martinez, A. Retico, “Lung Nodule Detection in Screening Computed Tomography” on proceedings of the IEEE NNS and MIC Conference, San Diego, California, Oct. 29 - Nov. 4, 2006.
-BEST PAPER “Dissimilarity Application for Medical Imaging Classification “on the 9th World Multi-Conference on Systemics, Cybernetics and Informatics: WMSCI 2005 Orlando(USA).
-BEST PAPER “Big Data Security on Cloud Servers Using Data Fragmentation Technique and NoSQL database” Intelligent Interactive Multimedia: Systems and Services (IIMSS-18), 20-22 June, 2018 ,Gold Coast, Australia
-BEST PAPER “Jorgji J, Golosio B, Cangelosi A, MASALA G L, Annabell, a cognitive system able to learn different languages on proceedings of the17th International Conference On Intelligent Software Methodologies, Tools, And Techniques, SOMET 18, Granada (Spain), September 26-28, 2018”
-LECTURE NOTES “Artificial Intelligence Techniques Applied to Biomedical Patterns” on ICCS 2006 Vienna March 29-31 ,2006 12th International Conference on Computer Science: TRANSACTIONS ON ENGINEERING, COMPUTING AND TECHNOLOGY V12 MARCH 2006 ISSN 1305-5313, ENFORMATIKA V12 2006 ISSN 1305-5313 pp. 14-19
- LECTURE NOTES “Computer Aided Detection on Mammography”, CISE 2006 Barcelona October 22-24 ,2006 International Conference on Computer Science in TRANSACTIONS ON ENGINEERING, COMPUTING AND TECHNOLOGY VOLUME 15 OCTOBER 2006 ISSN 1305-5313, pp. 1-6
- LECTURE NOTES XC National Congress of the Italian Society of Physics, Brescia 20-25 September 2004 Bottigli U., Brunetti A., Golosio B., Masala G.L., Oliva P., Randaccio P., Stumbo S. “Fast simulation techniques Monte Carlo method with imaging experiments with X-ray.”
- LECTURE NOTES Masala G. “Effects of ionizing radiation on cells cryopreserved”, National Congress of the Italian Society of Physics, Torino 18-23 September 2006
• Program Committee e reviewer proceedings ENFORMATIKA ICCS 2006, Vienna 29-31 March, 2006
• Program Committee e reviewer proceedings ENFORMATIKA CISE 2006, Barcelona 22-24 October 2006.
• Program Committee e reviewer proceedings World Multi-Conference on Systemics, Cybernetics and Informatics: WMSCI 2008 Orlando(USA)
• Program Committee e reviewer proceedings World Multi-Conference on Systemics, Cybernetics and Informatics: WMSCI 2009 Orlando(USA)
• Session Chair e reviewer proceedings IEEE Conference on Intelligent Transportation Systems 2014
• Session Chair e reviewer proceedings IEEE Conference on Intelligent Transportation Systems 2013
• Technical Program Committee in International Conference on Complex, Intelligent, and Software Intensive Systems 6-8 July 2016,Fukuoka Institute of Technology (FIT), Japan, (CISIS-2016)
• Program Committee member of SAM’17 (The 2017 International Conference on Security and Management), Las Vegas USA.
• Technical Program Committee member of 6th International Conference on Emerging Internet, Data and Web Technologies (EIDWT-2018), March 15-17, 2018, Polytechnic University of Tirana, Albania
• Program Committee member of SAM’18 (The 2018 International Conference on Security and Management), July 30 – 2 Aug, 2018 Las Vegas USA.
• Program Committee member of SAM’19 (The 2019 International Conference on Security and Management), July 290 – 1 Aug, 2019 Las Vegas USA.
• International Programme Committee for KES-IIMSS-19, SMART DIGITAL FUTURES 2019 in Malta, 17-19 June 2019
• Technical Program Committee of the IS04: Cognitive Systems and Big Data Analytics proposed session in IIMSS-18 (Intelligent Interactive Multimedia: Systems and Services, 20-22 June 2018, Gold Cost, Australia)
• Technical Program Committee of the special session about Cognitive and Neural Systems (CNS) in 17th International Conference On Intelligent Software Methodologies, Tools, And Techniques (Somet 18), September 26-28, 2018 / Granada (Spain)
• Track Co-Chairs of The 10-th International Conference on Intelligent Networking and Collaborative Systems (INCoS-2018) Comenius University in Bratislava, Slovakia. September 5 - 7, 2018
• Topic Editor in "Frontiers in" series for the special edition “Language Representation and Learning in Cognitive and Artificial Intelligence Systems” 2018-2019
• Artificial Intelligence in Medicine (AIM)
• IEEE Intelligent Transportation Systems Society
• IEEE Transactions on Industrial Informatics
• Journal of Systemics, Cybernetics and Informatics
• Nuovo Cimento C
• TRANSACTIONS ON ENGINEERING, COMPUTING AND TECHNOLOGY
• British Journal of Haematology
• Expert Systems with Applications
• Computers in Biology and Medicine
• Computer Methods and Programs in Biomedicine
• Soft Computing
• Principal Investigator 2019
EU Project Interreg 2 Seas 2014-2020 “AGE Independently (AGE’IN)“ (consortium funded with 4320 K€). My role is PI for University of Plymouth as project partner and WP leader (3 years, 371 K€).
• Academic Leader (PI) 2018
Knowledge Transfer Partnership (KTP) project (3 years, 160 K£) with the company Software Solved. This KTP embeds a new capability for the company and new intelligent software services for the Insurance sector (Machine learning and data science techniques applied on Big data), 2018.
• Co-investigator 2018
Knowledge Transfer Partnership KTP project (3 years, 175 K£) with the company Gendall Design in Falmouth to develop an intelligent voice driven booking engine.
• Co-investigator 2017
PhD studentship grant (3 years, 93 K£), “DeCIFER: Developmental Collaborative Intelligence For Embodied Robots” from Honda, through its HRI-EU subsidiary (Honda Research Institute Europe at Offenbach, Germany), c/o University of Plymouth.
• Co-investigator 2014
Tender Project funded (2 years, 200 K€) by Sardinia Council, Italy (LR7/2007) “Cloud computing platform for SMEs (small and medium enterprises)” .
• Co-investigator 2008
Tender Project funded (2 years, 130 K€) by Sardinia Council, Italy “Disclosure of information, culture and e-business on Internet: access for persons with disabilities “.