Data Protection

Protecting your personal data, upholding your data subject rights.

[Guidance for staff is available on the Data Protection pages of the intranet].


The University handles a substantial amount of personal data about individuals. This personal data is held about:  prospective students, applicants, current students, alumni, staff, research participants, users of our website and many other individuals that we come into contact with as a provider of higher education.

It is important to us that you have trust and confidence that we will protect your privacy and uphold the highest standard of compliance with data protection law. The University takes great care to ensure that personal data is obtained, handled, stored and disposed of confidentially and securely.

Data protection law regulates the processing of “personal data” relating to individuals by organisations (known as “controllers”).

The University is the Controller for the personal data we process. We process this information for a variety of reasons in order to carry out our academic, research, employer, charitable and other administrative functions.

You can find out more information about the way we use personal data by viewing our wide range of privacy notices. There are privacy notices for different categories of individuals who we hold personal data about and for the services we offer. See: Privacy Notices.


When we process personal data we will always aim:

For further information about your data subject rights and how to exercise your rights please see: Data Subject Rights.


If you wish to complain or report a personal data breach incident

If you wish to make a complaint about the way which your personal data is being or has been processed, or you believe a personal data breach incident has occurred, please contact our Data Protection Officer, who will investigate:

The Data Protection Officer

Legal Services

All Saints Building

Grosvenor Square


M15 6BH


Telephone: +44 (0)161 247 3884

You also have a right to complain to the Information Commissioner's Office (ICO) about the way in which we process your personal data. You can make a complaint using the ICO’s website.

However, we do encourage you to expend our internal complaints processes via our Data Protection Officer prior to making contact with the ICO.


Definitions used

On this page, and the pages which it links to, we have used some words and phrases; these are explained below.

Data Protection