News | Friday, 25th May 2018
Health, Psychology and Social Care sweep the Teaching Awards
Faculty bags four awards, including the much-anticipated Teacher of the Year award
The winners of this year’s Teaching Awards were revealed at a glittering awards ceremony last night (24 May) and the Faculty of Health, Psychology and Social Care picked up some big prizes.
The eighth annual Awards took place in The Union’s Hall, which was once again transformed and the red carpet rolled out to host the awards ceremony.
To open the evening, Vice-Chancellor, Professor Malcolm Press spoke to guests about working collaboratively to ensure students received the best experience at university.
A total of eleven awards were presented, and the Faculty of Health, Psychology and Social Care bagged four, including the much-anticipated Teacher of the Year award:
- Kay Hurst, Senior Lecturer in Physiotherapy - Best Undergraduate Supervisor
- Professor Rebecca Lawthom, Professor of Community Psychology - Best Postgraduate Supervisor
- Department of Nursing - Department of the Year
- Dr Leanne Rimmer, Lecturer in Psychology - Teacher of the Year
The Union’s Education Officer, Luca Raimo and Vice President Cheshire, Amie Atkinson compeered the night in front of an audience of over 120 people, all gathered to celebrate outstanding and inspiring teaching at Manchester Metropolitan.
The shortlists were comprised of individuals, teams, courses and departments, all nominated by students at the University. With a total of 765 nominations, a panel comprising of students, Student Officers and representatives from Manchester Met’s Centre for Excellence in Learning and Teaching judged entries anonymously.
There were 14 nominees shortlisted from the Faculty of Health, Psychology and Social Care:
- Dr Leanne Rimmer – Teacher of the Year
- Department of Health Professions – Department of the Year
- Department of Nursing – Department of the Year
- BSc (Hons) Speech and Language Therapy – Course of the Year
- Dr Bartek Buczkowski – Best Undergraduate Supervisor
- Kay Hurst – Best Undergraduate Supervisor
- Dr Gerasimos Chatzidamianos – Best Postgraduate Supervisor
- Professor Rebecca Lawthom – Best Postgraduate Supervisor
- Declan O'Reilly – Best Personal Tutor
- Dr Geoff Bunn – Outstanding Innovation in Teaching
- Caroline Ridley – Outstanding Innovation in Teaching
- Adult Nursing Team – Outstanding Teaching for Employability
- Andrew Hollingsworth – Outstanding Teaching for Sustainability
- Haleh Moravej – Outstanding Teaching for Sustainability