Academic and professional qualifications
- BA (Hons) Social Studies -Liverpool Polytechnic
- CQSW - University of Manchester
- MA (Economic and Social Policy) - University of Manchester
- CCETSW Practice Teacher Award
- OCR Diploma in Learning and Development
- OCR Diploma in Management
I qualified as a social worker in 1990 and then worked for over 20 years in the Probation Service, in a variety of roles, including working with young offenders, in court work and as a manager of a probation and bail hostel.
I supervised a number of social work students during this period and went on to qualify as a practice educator. I then worked first as a practice assessor and later team manager in a regional training and development team who delivered qualifications on the probation qualifications framework.
In 2011 I began work in a workforce development role for a local authority, with particular responsibility for learning and development in social care and for the professional development of social work staff.
I commenced in my current post at MMU in September 2015.
Teaching & Research Supervision
Why study ?
- I currently deliver teaching on the BA around knowledge and skills for working with adults.
- I deliver teaching on the Social Work, Safeguarding, Risk and Inter Professional Practice unit on the MA route.
- I am a course tutor on the Assessed and Supported Year in Employment (ASYE) CPD unit.
- I am working with colleagues to develop evidence based knowledge, skills and interventions to inform practice for working with adults.