Who am I?
Who am I?
Three words to describe me: Committed, creative and collegial.
When I am not working I enjoy practising yoga, reading, walking my dog, going to gigs and socialising with friends and family.
Why do I teach?
To pass on intellectual knowledge in a democratic way and to share critical ideas with you as part of a wider learning community.
I describe my teaching style as collobrative, constructively critical and creative.
Words of wisdom
'They know enough who know how to to learn'. Henry Adams
'For the things we have to learn before we can do them, we learn by doing them'. Hannah Arendt.
'When we love, we always strive to become better than we are...' Paulo Coelho
'There is only one thing that makes a dream impossible to achieve: the fear of failure'. Paulo Coelho
How I’ll teach you
Through encouraging your learning and development by supporting your interests and critical thinking.
Academic and professional qualifications
- BA (Hons) Politics/ Sociology ii.i University of York (1990 -1993)
- MA in Social Work Studies. Manchester Metropolitan University (1999)
- Education Doctorate (EdD) University of Manchester (2018)
Registration with Professional Bodies and Professional Memberships
- Qualified and registered social worker: Health Care Professionals Council Registration Number: SW58241
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
- Member of British Sociological Association
- Social Worker (Older Adults) – Warrington MBC (1998-2000)
- ASW/ Social Worker/ Care Manager – MMHSCT (2000-2003)
- Social Worker/ASW – Stockport MBC (2003-2005)
- Community Mental Health Team Manager/ASW – Pennine Care (2005-2008)
- University of Manchester - Lecturer (2008 -2016)
My training and experience as a social worker in Local Authorities and Mental Health and Social Care Trusts has been a key influence on the content and delivery of my teaching and scholarly activity. I am committed to placing the student at the centre of the learning process along with the service users and carers that they work with in order to enhance the knowledge, skills and values of the mental health and social work workforce. I am dedicated to supporting the continuing professional development of postgraduate students.
I have led a series of successful innovations in multidisciplinary postgraduate taught education that have an established national reputation of educating Adult Social Workers and Approved Mental Health Professionals, e.g professional conferences and practice resources. I have a sustained record of excellent student and external agency feedback. Alumni the UoM AMHP programme where I lecturered previously have made significant contributions to the health and wellbeing of people with mental health issues and their families, both as Approved Mental Health Professionals and as leaders who following completion of the MSc in Applied Mental Health have been promoted to positions of Heads of Social Care and Service Development Leads.
Other academic service (administration and management)
- Programme Leader PG Cert Advanced Social Work Award (Care Implementers)
- Programme Leader PG Cert Approved Mental Health Professional Practice (incorporating AMHP training)
British Sign Language Stage 1.
Teaching & Research Supervision
Why study Legal literacy, including Care Act (assessment and intervention, practice leadership, safeguarding, self-neglect, integration), Mental Health Act (incl. role of the AMHP, professional identities), Mental Capacity Act and defensible decision making.?
I lead a post graduate certificate in Advanced Social Work Prcatice for Post Graduate Care Act. The programme is the leading the way in creative and dynamic practice delivery of the key duties and responsibilities under the Care Act 2014. It includes an expert reference group that links excellent practice at regional and national levels, a yearly conference and local and regional networks for establishing and disseminating transformational practice leadership across Northwest organisations.
CPD lead for non credit bearing training, including the Practice Supervisors Development Programme (Adults and Children and Families), the National Assessment and Accreditation System (NAAS).
- Research Methods
- MA disseration supervisor
- Pg. Cert Advanced Social Work Award (Care Act) - Assesment and Intervention and Leadership and Management units
- Pg. Cert Approved Mental Health Professional Practice (incorporating AMHP training)
Postgraduate supervision (completed/in progress)
I have successfully supervised 55 post graduate MSc students in Applied Mental Health at University of Manchester and 12 MA in Social Work students at Manchester Met.
External examiner roles
- External Examiner for UCLAN BA (Hons) Social Work
Research Expertise, Publications & Grants
- Qualitative research methods, including case study research.
- Questionaires and interviews
- Focus Groups
- Literature Reviews
- Thematic Analysis
- Conceptual Frameworks
- Dissertation supervision (80 completions)
AMHP research group
- 'Sweeping up the odds and ends' - Approved Mental Health Practice in liminal spaces. SEED PGR Conference – University of Manchester 2015.
- 'Signature Pedagogies and the role of the Approved Mental Health Professional' Mental Health and Qualitative Social Work Network 2015.
- 'How are AMHPs hybrid professionals?' Joint Social Work Education Commitee Conference. 2015
- 'How are professional identities constructed and constrained within normative systems?' European Symbolic Social Interactionism Conference. 2015.
- 'Signature pedagogies and the Approved Mental Health Professional.'Joint Social Work Education Commitee Conference. 2016.
- The Benefits of Making Safeguarding Personal. The SLAM project. In conjunction with Annette Lomas and Cheshire East Safeguarding Service User Group. Faculty of Health, Psychology and Social Care Annual Research Conference. Manchester Metropolitan University. July 2018.
- The Role of the AMHP - A Fool's Errand? Making Research Count Mental Health Seminar Series. Kings College London. August 2018.
- Approved Mental Health Professionals - A Jack of all Trades and a Master of None? Professional hybridisation in a Mental Health Occupation. British Sociology Association: Work, Employment and Society, Belfast. Sept 2018.
The benefits of co-production in Making Safeguarding Personal – the SLAM
project. 9th International Conference on Social Work in Health and Mental Health. York: UK. 24.07.19
'Perspectives in Use': An interdisciplinary epistemology for
Approved Mental Health Professional practice. 9th International Conference on Social Work in Health and Mental Health. York: UK. 24.07.19
- Symposium:The Mental Health Act England and
Wales: Looking Back, Looking Forward. Approved Mental Health Professionals as Boundary Spanners. International Academy of Mental Health Law. Rome. Italy. 22.07.19
Invited roundtable discussions
- The Role of the AMHP - A Fool's Errand? Making Research Count Mental Health Seminar Series. Kings Colleg, London. August 2018.
- Firstline evaluation project consultant. Kings College, London. March 2019 onwards.
- AMHPA Conferences and yearly Taking Stock Conference in conjunction with Professor Luke Clements from Cardiff Law School from 2008 - 2016. Papers from Judge Justice Mumby, Professor Eleanor Sacs, Professor Nav Kapur; Dr Ruby Wax; Richard Jones, Neil Allen.
- 'Care Act - One Year On' 2016. Including keynote address from Professor David Croisdale Appleby, papers from Alex Rucke Keene and Professor Alison Brammer.
- The Care Act Integration Agenda - Challenges, Opportunities and Innovations in Practice Conference 2018. Including keynote address from Professor David Croisdale Appleby; and paperrs from Professor Sam Baron; Dr. Robin Miller; Mark Warren, Oldham DASS; Belinda Schwer - CASCAIDr.
- National AMHP Conference- Research Informed Practice and Practice Informed Research. Priory Rooms, Birmingham. 14.05.2019.
Expert reviewer for journals and publishers
- Peer reviewer for the British Journal of Social Work; Practice: Social Work in Action and the Journal of Qualitative Social Work
- Palgrave McMillan and Wiley book publishers.
- I blog for Mental Health and National Elf.
Engagement & Knowledge Exchange
Consultancy and advisory roles
JSWEC MMU Representative.
Board Member Manchester City Council All Age Disability Board
Advisory member of Kings College SWRU.
Awards, Honours & Distinctions
Membership of professional associations
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy