Home-Start Manchester South (HSMS) provides an invaluable support for families across South Manchester.
- Current service users of HSMS reported that the organisation provides a high level of support and wanted the service to continue to provide ‘more of the same’.
- Volunteers are trained to a high level and are committed to the values of the organisation.
- Health visitors are the main referrers of families to the service and highly commend the support provided by the organisation for families experiencing difficulties. They reported a very positive experience of the referral and administration processes.
- Processes implicit to HSMS may need more clarification for volunteers and families. For example, how the volunteer support is reviewed and what happens at the end of HSMS support.
- Since December 2013, HSMS have made significant efforts to raise their profile with partner organisations, key stakeholders and communities, notably in the Manchester Central electoral constituency.
- The number of Black and Minority Ethnic (BME) families being supported or awaiting a match with a volunteer has increased.
Aims and Objectives
- To explore the kinds of families and communities that the organisation provides support for
- To explore how families are referred to Home-Start Manchester South
- To find out who are the volunteers for Home-Start Manchester South
- To evaluate the effectiveness of Home-Start Manchester South in meeting the needs of the families it works with.
Two visits to Musanze, Rwanda, by Julie Marshall, in March and July 2015 to:
- Set goals and activities related to developing services for people with communication disabilities in northern Rwanda, using Theory of Change;
- carry out training with EEE staff;
- train teachers, parents of children with communication disabilities and other community members;
- work with EEE on analysis and dissemination of project data and on new collaborative research.
O'Neill, T., Mitchell-Smith, Z., Fisher, J., Lawthom, R. and McLaughlin, H. (2014) "'The Spice of Life': An evaluation of Home-Start Manchester South", Manchester Metropolitan University