After arrival

Step 2 Register with the Police

In the UK, international students from certain countries are required to register with the police. Your visa decision letter should tell you if you must register with the police. Appendix 2 of the immigration rules lists those nationals who are required to register.

Please check Appendix 2 before you depart for the UK. If you are required to register with the police and you have a dependant partner, this person must also register with the police.


If you have previously been issued with a Police Registration Certificate and you are joining Manchester Metropolitan University after studying at another institution, you will need an appointment to update.

How do I book an appointment?

If you need to register with the police, please email or call +44 (0)161 856 3317 to arrange an appointment at the International Visitor Registration Office (IVRO). If you are required to register with the police, you must do so within seven days of your arrival in the UK. However, it is not always possible for the police to provide you with an appointment within seven days of you arriving/your BRP being issued. As long as you make the appointment within those seven days, you will meet the terms of your visa.

What do I need to take to my appointment?

  • Passport
  • Biometric Residence Permit (BRP)

  • Home Office visa decision letter
  • A recent passport size photograph
  • Letter of enrolment. You can obtain this from the Student Hub. (Please note that your student card alone is not sufficient to prove that you study at Manchester Met.)
  • Proof of your UK address
  • Printed and completed Police Registration Form
  • Previous Police Registration Certificate (if you have one)
  • Registration fee. This is £34 and is payable by credit or debit card (cash will not be accepted)

When do I have to update my Police Registration Certificate?

You will need to update your Certificate within seven days if any of the changes listed below take place:

  • You change address but are continuing to study at Manchester Met

  • There is a change in your marriage or civil partnership status
  • You stop studying at Manchester Met and move to another place of study
  • You are joining Manchester Met after studying at another institution
  • You have a new visa
  • You have a new passport
  • You receive any new landing conditions
  • You change your study information (i.e. you change course or where you are studying)
  • You change your nationality
  • You become exempt from police registration

Additional Information

Manchester Met has been asked to remind all Police Registration Certificate holders of the following:

  • You must notify the IVRO if you intend to leave the UK for more than two months but less than 12 months
  • If you are leaving the UK permanently or for longer than 12 months, you must return your registration certificate to the IVRO
  • If your registration certificate is lost, damaged or stolen, you must then make another appointment at the IVRO to obtain a replacement at a cost of £34
  • If your registration certificate is lost, you must report this loss online at and obtain a Police Reference Number
  • You must replace your certificate if it gets damaged
  • If your registration certificate is stolen, you must report the theft to a local police station and obtain a Crime Report Reference Number
  • If you do not register with the police or report changes to your registration, you may be fined up to £5000 or face up to 6 months in prison.
Visas and Immigration