Visiting the UK is a relatively straight forward process. The information you need to provide with your application and the type of immigration permission you require will normally depend on your reason for visiting and your nationality.

Family and Friends

Your family or friends may wish to visit you whilst you are studying in the UK. As visitors to the UK they would need to obtain a Standard Visitor visa. If your family or friends are a national of any of the countries detailed on UKVI's visa nationals list (appendix 2)  they must apply to a UK embassy using the online form before arriving in the UK.

If their nationality is not listed on the visa nationals list they will be able to request entry to the UK without applying in advance. Certain nationalities may also be able to use an eGate upon arrival.  It is advisable to keep any supporting documents with them during their journey to the UK, even where intending to use the eGates upon arrival or requesting an entry stamp from a UK Border Force officer.

Your family/friends must meet the requirements to obtain a Standard Visitor visa, below is a list of typical documentation they will require:

  • Passport
  • Two passport photographs
  • The entry clearance fee in local currency
  • Evidence that they have enough money to support themselves whilst in the UK, for example, bank statements, payslips, or a letter from their employer
  • A photocopy of your passport (the photograph page), current student visa or biometric residence permit, and police registration certificate if you have one. Do not send original copies
  • A short note of invitation from you, which should be in a normal letter format. We recommend you use our Graduation Standard Letter Template. The template is aimed at those inviting their family/friend to their graduation ceremony; you should adapt the template letter if they are visiting you whilst you are studyin
  • You may also require a student status letter from the University that confirms you are enrolled at Manchester Met if they are visiting you and you are still completing your course. You can request this letter from the Student Hub in your faculty

The University does not issue letters inviting your family/friends to visit you.

Returning for your Graduation

Our Graduation team can supply a formal invitation on Manchester Met letterhead to use when applying for a Standard Visitor visa to attend your graduation ceremony. Please contact the Graduation Helpline on 0161 247 5959 or email to request a letter.

You should include a copy of this letter with your application. Anyone you wish to invite to attend your graduation ceremony should also provide a copy of this letter. 

You should also meet the Standard Visitor visa requirements.

Visiting Manchester Met before starting your course

You will need to meet the requirements and apply for Standard Visitor visa if you wish to visit the UK and Manchester Met for any of the following reasons:

  • You wish to attend an open day 
  • You are visiting the campus to make a decision on your offer

If you have made an application to study with us, you should use your offer letter from Manchester Met and explain at the time of application that you will be visiting the University to make a decision on your offer. Any application for a visiting visa is also assessed based on your intention to return home so we recommend that you provide details of your travel plans or a travel itinerary with your immigration application.


If you have received a visiting visa or an entry stamp, then this does not normally allow study if your main intention in coming to the UK is starting your course. You should contact if you have a visit visa and wish to undertake study or start your course at Manchester Met before you enrol.
Visas and Immigration