A group is the way you experience and work collectively when editing documents, planning projects, scheduling team meetings and more.
What is an Office 365 Group?
- Groups in Office 365 let you choose a set of people that you wish to collaborate with and easily set up a collection of resources for those people to share. Resources include a shared Outlook inbox, shared calendar or a document library for collaborating on files.
- You don’t have to worry about manually assigning permissions to all those resources because adding members to the group automatically gives them the permissions they need to the tools your group provides.
- Groups are intended to be dynamic, so one might only exist for the duration of a project.
Accessing Groups in Office 365
- Log into office365.mmu.ac.uk using your University ID in the format firstname.lastname@example.org and your University password
- Once you have logged in, there will be a side menu called ‘Groups’ with links to ‘Discover’ or ‘Create’ Groups.
Staff can create a Group using Planner.
Planner is an Office 365 app used to organise teamwork and tasks. Planner is highly integrated with Office 365 groups: each time a new plan is created, a new Office 365 Group is also created.
To create a new plan:
- Log into office365.mmu.ac.uk using your University ID in the format email@example.com and your University password
- Under 'Apps', click 'Explore all your apps'.
- Scroll down and click on 'Planner'. This will open the Planner Hub, where you can see your existing plans or create a new plan.
- Deleting a plan will permanently delete that plan's contents. It is not restorable.
- Office 365 Groups can also be deleted from within Planner. They are recoverable for 30 days; the Group owner can contact the IT Helpline to request that a deleted Group be recovered.
See a video overview of Planner
Planner video training from Microsoft
Microsoft Planner Essential Training on Lynda.com
Need IT Support?
The IT Helpline team is on call 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Or come see us weekdays in the Business School Student Hub or University library
- Call: 0161 247 4646
- Self Service (24/7): assist.mmu.ac.uk
- Chat (24/7): Start chat
- Student Hub (Staff and Students) 9:30am - 15:45pm
- Library (Students) 12pm-4pm