The term Technology Enhanced Learning (TEL) is used to describe the application of information and communication technologies to teaching, learning and assessment.
At Manchester Metropolitan University, this includes technologies that are used:
- Primarily in online environments
- Within classrooms, lecture theaters, laboratories and other physical teaching spaces
- In combination as part of blended learning provision
TEL toolkit at MMU: The Core+ Model
The University provides a core Virtual Learning Environment (Moodle) integrated with corporate systems that is available to students to use with the devices and services of their choosing.
The core technologies are extended to provide a TEL toolkit that the institution arranges, recommends or recognises.
The diagram below details the applications within the Core+ Model and their support levels by the TEL team.
Core+ Model levels of support by the TEL team
- Core: We create accounts, ensure access, provide full support and training. Expectation that ALL staff will utilise within their practice
- Arranged: We create accounts, ensure access, provide full support and training. Expectation the majority of staff will be able to utilise within their practice
- Office 365
- Skype for Business
- Tii Feedback Studio
- Recommended: We develop training and support materials to facilitate bringing these seamlessly into the core. Full access but no expectation all staff will utilise in their practice
- Adobe Connect
- Recognised: We encourage tutors to experiment with these but no critical mass to research and prescribe integration and training. No MMU account creation, management or user support
- Google Docs
- Poll Everywhere
- Virtual Reality
- Augmented Reality