News | Wednesday, 2nd November 2016
Protect yourselves and your homes from fire
Each year Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service responds to fires in properties occupied by students.
Fires in the home can easily start, but are also easily prevented. We have pulled together some top tips to protecting yourselves and your homes.
Did you know?
- Cigarettes, smoking materials and candles have been the cause of approximately 1,500 18-24 year olds sustaining fire-related injuries over the last 5 years.
- 55% of fires in the home occurred through misuse of cooking appliances and careless handling of hot substances.
- You are four times more likely to die in a fire if you do not have a working smoke alarm.
Do not leave your cooking unattended. Take extra care when frying with oil, and if a fire starts, NEVER put water on it.
Make sure there is a smoke alarm fitted on each floor in the house, and test that the batteries are working once a week.
Keep candles away from flammable surfaces, do not leave unattended and remember to extinguish them properly.
Take extra care if smoking inside a property, and make sure you put your cigarette out and dispose of it appropriately.
Always switch off electrical appliances, including hair straighteners and phone chargers, when not in use, and keep flammable material away from them.
Do not overload plug sockets.
Plan your escape route in case of a fire. And if there is a fire in your house - Get out! Stay Out! And call 999.
If you are living in student accommodation:
- Items need to be PAT tested to ensure they don’t pose a fire risk. Seek permission from the accommodation office before bringing additional electrical appliances into your accommodation.
- Certain things, such as candles, incense and extra furniture, may be banned from student accommodation due to fire-related risks. This information can be found in your contract. If in doubt, check with the accommodation office or at reception.
- Fire doors drastically slow down the spread of fire, so make sure you keep them shut.
- Do not tamper with fire equipment. This includes covering smoke/heat detectors, setting off fire alarms and moving fire extinguishers.
If you are living in privately-rented accommodation, landlords must:
- Ensure that gas appliances are installed and maintained annually by a corgi-registered plumber.
- Maintain wiring and electrical appliances that they provide to ensure they are safe to use.
- Make sure any furniture and furnishings that they provide meet the fire resistance regulations.
Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue service offers free Safe and Well visits where they assess the potential fire risks in your home, provide personalised fire safety advice, health and wellbeing advice and home security advice.
For more information, visit: https://www.manchesterfire.gov.uk/fire_safety_advice/home_fire_risk_assessments/