News | Monday, 4th September 2017

Things to remember when moving into your new home

Living off-campus this year? Here’s a handy check list of what you need to do

Moving out of halls or the family home and into rented accommodation for the first time can be exciting however, there are a few things you need to remember to do…

Your deposit should be protected in an authorised scheme and you should receive information about this within 30 days of handing over the money.

It’s really important to take an inventory when you move in to help you get your deposit back at the end of your tenancy. Photographs and videos are always useful.

Take meter readings and give them to the utility suppliers – taking a photograph for future reference is always good. Some suppliers may charge late payment fees and any debts could affect your credit score.

You will need to put everyone’s names on the utility bills as soon as you move in – the start date is usually the date on your tenancy agreement but this may vary depending on the terms.

Make sure you give your new address to those that need it – driving licence, banks, us! You can update your contact details at one of our Student Hubs.

Clear instructions about how to use any appliance should be available; you should not have to guess.

If you need advice or treatment in the future, it is much easier if you are already registered and can save you stress and valuable time. You can find one on the NHS website.

Don’t forget to register to vote! It’s really easy and can be done online.

Buy content insurance for your valuables! Endsleigh specialises in student insurance and is usually very competitive for a full years cover.

More details and useful contacts can be found in Manchester Student Homes’ Start of Tenancy Information Pack.


Please remember that you are part of a wider community and it is important to show consideration for your neighbours whose lifestyles are likely to be different from yours, such as young families and older residents. Students are, and continue to be, the best possible ambassadors for the University simply by being good and considerate neighbours.

If you are having an issue with student neighbours, get in touch with The Good Neighbours Team. The Neighbourhood Helpline is a 24-hour voicemail service for all members of the community (long-term residents and students) to report issues or problems concerning students’ behaviour in residential areas.

Manchester Student Homes

Manchester Student Homes is a FREE, university-run housing service for students.

You can pop into their office:

Unit 1-3 Ladybarn House, Moseley Road, Fallowfield, Manchester, M14 6ND.

Or contact them via:

Tel - 0161 275 7680

Email - 

Facebook - @ManchesterStudentHomes

Twitter - @Man_Student_Hmes


More news