Academic and professional qualifications
PhD Biology University of Sussex - 2002
BSC 1st Class Hons Environemntal Science - 1998
Policy & Projects Lead, Faculty of Education, Manchester Metropolitan University, Jan 2017, present
- Project Manager/ Researcher: Knowsley Council – Pathways to Success Evaluation
- Survey Manager/ Researcher: EAS Support for Newly Qualified Teachers
- Researcher –Conducting survey to review Early Career development requirements for NQTs in England and Scotland
- Project managing development of PGCE/CPD routes delivered by MMU Faculty of Education
- Conducting review of Partner Local Authorities’ data and our own Teacher Training progression data to improve understanding of NQT progression routes and CPD needs of Early Career teachers.
- Policy and Project Lead for School of Teacher Education and Professional Development and for the wider Faculty of Education
- Faculty strategic and resource planning
Various Research/ Analysis roles - progressing to Intelligence Lead – Children’s Services, Leeds City Council – 2009-2016
- Lead a team of researchers and analysts to provide research and business analysis to inform the delivery of Children’s Serivces work
- Worked with School Improvement Colleagues to develop data package for schools and to inform school improvement training and strategies
- Developed analysis and reports to ensure services were strategically focussing resource and were Ofsted ready
- Developed and delivered a number of surveys to both pupils and Education Staff.
Researcher – The National Foundation for Educational Research 2008-2009
- Conducted qualitative and quantitative Educational Research projects
- Led on survey development/analysis, interviews, case studies and production of evaluation reports
Senior Educational Analyst /System Development - Calderdale Council – 2005- 2008
- Delivered system and process reviews (including qualitative research and data analysis) to determine developments to Children’s Services Delivery models.
- Lead service improvement projects with a range of Education Services within the Local Authority and with Partner Schools
Contract Researcher – MMU/Manchester City Council – 2002 -2004
- Project managed and delivered a number of research evaluations for Manchester City Council (involving survey’s and face to face interviews)
Research Expertise, Publications & Grants
- EAS Support for Newly Qualified Teachers in Wales
- Evaluation: The Accelerating Improvement In Knowsley Pathways To Success
- MMU Evaluation of support for Newly Qualified Teachers in England
- MMU Evaluation of support for Newly Qualified Teachers in Scotland
- Hulme, M., Rauschenberger, E. & Haines, B. (2018) Cluster-Based Approaches to School Improvement. Final Report. Education Achievement Service, South East Wales.
- Walker, M., Haines, B., Harland, J. & Kinder, K.,(2009) 2008/9 Secondary Maths and Science HLTA Research. Slough NFER. Link – https//ww.nfer.ac.uk/publications/HLM01
- Haines, B., Lord, P. and Straw S. (2009) NFER Evaluation of Spectroscopy in a Suitcase (SIAS), Slough, NFER
- Robinson, M., Walker, M. Kinder, K. and Haines B. (2008) Research into the Role of CPD Leadership in Schools, Slough: NFER
- Haines,B., & Straw, S, (2008). Evaluation of Future Blogs: Final Report. Slough:NFER. Link https//www.nfer.ac.uk/publications/CFG01
- Wheater, C.P., Shaw, E.M. (2005) Evaluation of CCTV in Taxi and Private Hire Vehicles, A research report for Manchester City Council
- Langan, A.M., Wheater, C.P, Shaw, E.M., Haines, B.J. Cullen, W.R. et.al (2005) Peer assessment of oral presentations. Effects of student gender, university affiliation and participation in the development of assessment criteria. Assessment and Evaluation in Higher Education, 30(1) 21-34.
- Haines, B. & Wheater C.P. (2004). TaxiSafe scheme an evaluation of taxi wardens pilot scheme, A research report for Manchester City Council
- Haines, B.J. (2002) Zincophilic root foraging Thlaspi caerulescens. New Phytologyst, 155: 363-372
AM. Langan *, CP. Wheater, EM. Shaw, BJ. Haines, WR. Cullen, et al. (2005). Peer assessment of oral presentations: effects of student gender, university affiliation and participation in the development of assessment criteria. Assessment & Evaluation in Higher Education. 30(1), pp.21-34.
BJ. Haines (2002). Zincophilic root foraging in Thlaspi caerulescens. New Phytologist. 155(3), pp.363-372.
M. Hulme, E. Rauschenberger, B. Haines (2018). Development of Cluster-Based Approaches to School Improvement: Final Report. Manchester Metropolitan University: ESRI, The Education Achievement Service for South East Wales.
M. Hulme, B. Haines, S. Ainsworth, K. Kardas Evaluation of the Accelerating Improvement in Knowlsey: Pathways to Success Initiative. Department for Education, Department for Education’s Strategic School Improvement Fund (SSIF) coordinated by the Knowsley Education Commission.