Pre-registration Healthcare courses attract funding in a similar way to undergraduate degree courses.

Tuition Fees

You will need to pay tuition fees of £9,250 for your Pre-Registration course. This can be funded through a tuition fee loan from Student Finance England. The loan is not means-tested and covers the full amount of the tuition fees. It’s paid directly to the University when you enrol on a Pre-Registration course and you only repay it after you have graduated and are earning over £26,575.

Maintenance Loan

This is available to help you with your living costs. The amount you will receive depends on your household income (parents’ or partner’s income plus yours) and the loan is repayable once you have finished the course and are earning over £26,575.

Maintenance loan amounts for courses starting in 2019 were:

Full-time student

Maintenance Loan

Living at home

Up to £7,529

Living away from home, outside London

Up to £8,944

Additional Support

Full-time students with children could get up to £1,766 a year to help with their learning costs. This is called the Parents’ Learning Allowance. You may also be able to apply for a Childcare Grant to cover up to 85% of your childcare costs (up to £174.22 a week for one child or up to £298.69 a week for two or more children).

Full-time students in higher education with an adult who depends on them financially can apply for an Adult Dependants’ Grant of up to £3,094.

If you have a disability or specific learning difficulty such as dyslexia, you can apply for a Disabled Students’ Allowance.

EU Students

You may be able to get a Tuition Fee Loan and help with living costs if you’re from an EU country. For more information visit the Student Finance page for EU students.

How to apply

You don’t need to wait until you’ve been accepted onto a course to apply for student finance. If you are a full-time student living in England you can apply through Student Finance England.

If you live in Northern Ireland, Scotland or Wales, you need to apply through the relevant central loans company for your country. Arrangements vary according to your country of residence and you can find more information on the following websites:


Postgraduate Study