Research Scholarships

University scholarships are offered on an annual basis for students wishing to study for PhD/MPhil/MRes degrees through one of the University's 12 Research Centres. They are normally held for up to three years and provide the home tuition fees for these awards, up to the value of £3,500p.a, and a subsistence bursary of around £12,000 a year. The studentships are full-time and only available to Home and EU candidates.

Scholarships attached to specific research projects are usually advertised in The Guardian, at and on our scholarships page each year.

Sources of UK funding – Scholarships

(England, Wales and Northern Ireland) Awards currently available for full-time postgraduate students usually cover university fees and a maintenance grant. Applications can be made through the department offering the course or the research place. Applications for research council awards are usually late April/early May.

Art and Design/Humanities

Research degrees awards (PhDs and research-led Master's) are available from the Arts and Humanities Research Council (AHRC).

For further information please contact the Arts and Humanities Research Council or our Art and Design and Humanities Faculties.

Arts and Humanities Research Council (AHRC)
Tel: +44 (0)117 987 6500

Manchester School of Art
Tel: +44 (0)161 247 4609

Faculty of Arts and Humanities
Tel: +44 (0)161 247 1751

See also:

Manchester School of Art Research Scholarships
Tel: +44 (0)161 247 4609

Biological Sciences and Food Science

Biotechnology and Biological Sciences Research Council (BBSRC) awards are available for qualifying students and information is available from the Council or our Science and Engineering or Hollings Faculties.

Biotechnology and Biological Sciences Research Council (BBSRC)
Tel: +44 (0)1793 413 200

Faculty of Science and Engineering
Tel: +44(0)161 247 2975

Education (Teacher Training)

PGCE students are liable for fees of approximately £9,000. Home and EU students may be eligible for a tuition fee loan to cover the cost of tuition fees charged. Home students in England may also be eligible for a student maintenance loan to help towards accommodation and other living costs and a non-repayable maintenance grant, which is means tested. You can apply for the loans and grant through Student Finance England. More details about this, and the funding arrangements for trainees from the EU is available on the Directgov website.

PGCE students may also be entitled to a tax-free bursary, subject to Department for Education (DfE) regulations (which may change over time). For the most up-to-date information, please visit the DfE website: Bursaries and Funding.

Natural Sciences, Engineering and Mathematics

Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC) awards for doctoral research may be available through the provision of Doctoral Training Grants made by the EPSRC to the University. Enquires about availability should be made direct to the department.

Natural Environment Research Council (NERC) awards may be available for qualifying students and further information can be found via the Council. For further information on the EPSRC awards contact the Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council as well as our Science and Engineering Faculty.

Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC)
Tel: +44 (0)1793 444000

Natural Environment Research Council (NERC)
Tel: +44 (0)1793 411500

Faculty of Science and Engineering
Tel: +44(0)161 247 2975

Social Sciences (including Education and Business)

The Economic and Social Research Council (ESRC) funds two types of awards for students in the social sciences. The first type are programmes which comprise a one-year research training Master’s (MRes) linked to a three-year PhD. The second are three-year PhD programmes. You can only apply to outlets which have been recognised by the ESRC.

In the last research recognition exercise Manchester Met was successful in receiving recognition in the areas of business and management, and education.

Application forms and lists of recognised outlets will be posted to the ESRC website when available. For further information contact ESRC or our Humanities, Law and Social Science, Faculty of Health, Social Care and Education and Business School Faculties.

The Economic and Social Research Council (ESRC)
Tel: +44(0)1793 413145

Humanities, Languages and Social Science
Tel: +44 (0)161 247 1751

Faculty of Health, Psychology and Social Care
Tel: +44 (0)161 247 2020

Business School
Tel: +44 (0)161 247 3779

Social Work

Find out about the funding available for social work students and how to apply:

NHS: Business Services Authority

Industrial Organisations

Some industrial organisations collaborate with the University to provide research scholarships, in defined areas. If the course or research is relevant to your present job it is worth asking your employer whether they will support you in any way.

Top tip: Do your research about what is available and apply as early as possible once you have an offer of a place. Most funding applications need to be made in the Spring.

Part-time Work

A large majority of postgraduate students choose to study part-time to allow them to work while studying. While earning money is important you will need to keep the right balance between work and study.

Top tip: Finding work on campus can be a convenient way of integrating work and study. Manchester Met has Jobs4Students, which offers casual work around the University that is flexible around your course commitments.

Employer Funded

If you are currently in work then employer sponsorship for a postgraduate course could be a possibility for either full or partial funding. A qualification could improve your ability to do your job whilst the benefits to your employer could be a better qualified, more motivated employee.

Industrial CASE Awards, which are allocated to the industrial partner (i.e. your employer) may become available. These awards are advertised in The Guardian and on our website.

Top tip: Do your research prior to approaching your employer about the costs, time commitment and how you would fit your studies around work to make a strong business case that your qualification is worth the investment.

Professional and Career Development Loan

The scheme is run by the Department for Children, Schools and Families, in conjunction with a number of banks, for study which is vocational in nature and will assist you to obtain work. This is a deferred repayment bank loan at a competitive fixed interest rate which you can apply for to support career enhancement through learning.

You can borrow between £300 and £10,000 from a participating bank, which is repayable on completion of your studies. However, while you are studying the Learning and Skills Council (LSC) will pay the interest accrued and for one month afterwards.

You can use the loan to cover between 80-100% of your course fees (dependant on personal circumstances), living expenses such as rent and course costs like travel, books and childcare. Further information can be found at

Top tip: Make sure the course you are applying for is eligible to be considered for the loan. You must be able to prove that it will help develop your career.

Charities and Trusts

Charitable trusts are sometimes able to offer support to specific students, though this is likely to be minimal and will only be offered when other avenues have been exhausted. Applications need to be made at least one year in advance.

There are often criteria for those eligible to apply, for example people on low incomes, lone parents or the country you live in.

Top tip: Information on charitable trusts is available in The Grants Register and The Charities Digest, available through your public library.

Graduate Teaching

Research students may have the opportunity to take on some teaching duties in their department of study. Initially you may be restricted to basic duties such as marking or tutorials but you could progress to being employed as a temporary lecturer.

Teaching is usually about 6 hours per week for which you could receive a waiver of your fees or a bursary.

Top tip: Graduate teaching opportunities are mainly arranged internally at departmental level so you would need to approach your research supervisor for more information.

Research Grants

There are some opportunities to work as a research student in one of our academic departments on a specific project that is funded by a research grant. Contact the department where you wish to undertake research for further details of any current or planned projects.

These studentships (or part studentships) may also be advertised in the press as funding becomes available.

Our Loyalty Discount Scheme offers a fee discount of up to £500 for UK students and £1,000 for overseas students if you are an Manchester Met graduate enrolling for a postgraduate course.

Useful Publications and Websites


The following can be found at University reference libraries and British Council offices.


Looking for Postgraduate Fees?

The fees for taught courses, both full-time and part-time are provided in the course listings on our online prospectus.

Postgraduate Study