Money matters
for September 2019 starters

Find out how you can intelligently manage your money and access the support available to students starting university in September 2019.

Cost of university

The two main costs you will have whilst studying are: 

  • Your tuition fees for each year of your course.
  • Your living costs e.g. rent, food, clothing, course materials, entertainment.

If you are a home student studying on a full-time course, you can apply for student finance to cover both of these.

You can apply for this support through the central loans company for your country, no matter which university you choose to study at e.g. an English student would apply via Student Finance England. The type and amount of support varies according to your country of residence and you can find detailed information on the relevant website:

Remember that you need to re-apply for your student finance for each year of your course.

Tuition fees

You can find the tuition fees for each course in our eProspectus.

All new, eligible undergraduates are entitled to a loan to cover their tuition fees. If you have any concerns about your eligibility or if you have studied before at Higher Education level in either the UK or overseas, please contact your relevant funder for advice.

Tuition fees for new, Home and EU undergraduate students in the 2019/20 academic year will be £9,250 per year.

UK undergraduate tuition fees are subject to UK government approval and controlled by the Teaching Excellence Framework. Tuition fees can rise each year in line with inflation for both new and continuing students as the cost of delivering courses increases. Inflation will be calculated with reference to the RPIX, a measure of inflation in the UK.

The Tuition Fee Loan is paid directly to the University by the Student Loans Company so you will not receive it personally.

Living costs

A Maintenance Loan will be available for new, full-time undergraduate students. This is to help you to pay for your living costs, including rent, food, clothing, course materials etc. You will receive part of this amount at the end of Welcome Week, once you have collected your ID card and Manchester Met have confirmed to Student Finance that you have arrived, with the remainder paid in instalments at the start of each subsequent term in January and April. The amount of loan you will receive will vary, depending on where you chose to live whilst you study and on your household income.

Students living at home

Household income £ per yearMaximum loan for living costs £ per yearMaximum tuition fee loan £ per yearMaximum borrowed (excluding interest) £ per year
25,000 7,529 9,250 16,779
30,000 6,895 9,250 16,145
35,000 6,260 9,250 15,510
40,000 5,626 9,250 14,876
42,875 5,261 9,250 14,511
45,000 4,991 9,250 14,241
50,000 4,357 9,250 13,607
55,000 3,722 9,250 12,972
58,215+ 3,314 9,250 12,564

Students living away from home (outside of London)

Household income £ per yearMaximum loan for living costs £ per yearMaximum tuition fee loan £ per yearMaximum borrowed (excluding interest) £ per year
25,000 8,944 9,250 18,194
30,000 8,303 9,250 17,553
35,000 7,661 9,250 16,911
40,000 7,019 9,250 16,269
42,875 6,650 9,250 15,900
45,000 6,377 9,250 15,627
50,000 5,735 9,250 14,985
55,000 5,093 9,250 14,343
60,000 4,452 9,250 13,702
62,212+ 4,168 9,250 13,418

Check what you might be entitled to with the Student Finance England calculator.

Student Support Package 2019/20

Currently we offer a £750 per year Student Support Package for new, full-time, first year undergraduate students. To be eligible you must have applied online to be income assessed by Student Finance, have a UK Student Support Number and be from a household with an income up to and including £25,000.

Student Support Package

Scholarships and bursaries

Care Leavers Bursary

Care leavers at Manchester Met can also apply for an additional cash bursary of £1000 per year.

Other support funds

The University's annual Support Funds offer a range of discretionary awards to support students

Sports Scholarships

Our Sport Scholarship programme supports talented athletes from a variety of sporting backgrounds as they combine a demanding training and competition programme with study for a world-class degree.

The Neelam Aggarwal Scholarship

One non-repayable scholarship worth £3,750 (and paid as three annual instalments of £1,250) is awarded each year to a new UK, undergraduate, full-time student in their first year of study, from a household with an income up to and including £42,875 and paying fees of £9,250 per annum*.

Find out more

Manchester School of Art credit 

The Manchester School of Art usually offers assistance to students in the form of a credit of up to £200 on your met card to help you to cover the additional costs of materials associated with art and design practice based courses. Please note the scheme is yet to be confirmed for 2019/20. Visit for more information.

Part-time students

If you are studying part-time, you are entitled to apply for a Tuition Fee Loan of up to £6,935 depending on the number of credits you take. In order to qualify you must be studying at least 25% of an equivalent full-time course each year.

You may also be eligible for a part-time Maintenance Loan to help with your living costs. How much you can get depends on your household income, course intensity and where you live while studying.

Study Intensity Living at home Student living away from home (outside London)
100% Up to £7,529 Up to £8,944
75% to 100% Up to £5,647 Up to £6,708
66.6% to 75% Up to £5,014 Up to £5,957
50% to 66.6% Up to £3,765 Up to £4,472
33.3% to 50% Up to £2,507 Up to £2,978
25% to 33.3% Up to £1,882 Up to £2,236

We also offer a Manchester Met Student Support Package of up to £562.50 per year for new, part-time first year undergraduate students with a household income £25,000 per year or less. Find Out More

If you have a disability, you may be able to apply for the Disabled Students’ Allowance. The amount you can get will be affected by your ‘course intensity’ i.e. how long your course takes to complete each year compared to an equivalent full-time course.

Mature or independent students

Independent students

If you’re an independent student, Student Finance England won’t take your parents’ income into account when working out the household income and contribution. However, the income of your wife/husband or partner may be considered.

You’re an independent student if you meet one of the following conditions:

  • You have the care of a person under the age of 18.

  • You’re 25 or over on the first day of the academic year.

  • You’ve been married or in a civil partnership.

  • You’ve supported yourself for at least three years before the start of your course.

  • You can demonstrate that you are permanently estranged from your parents.

  • You are a care leaver

If you are unsure if you qualify, contact Student Finance England for a full list of criteria. Extra help is also available to students with children or dependent adults:

You can apply for the above via your main Student Finance application and you may be required to supply some additional information.

If you are a mature student returning to education, you can find useful advice on our mature students pages. If you have studied before at undergraduate level, we would also advise you to contact the Student Finance company for your country before starting your course.

Applying for student finance

Follow these steps to make sure that your student finance is in place for the start of your course.

  1. Applications usually open in late January. You don’t need to have accepted a place at university yet. Use your preferred choice of course and you can always log in and change this later if you need to. You will need:

    • your passport

    • details of your university and course

    • your bank details

    • your National Insurance number.

  2. If you need to provide details of your household income, you will need to enter your parent’s email address when completing your application. They will then receive an email with instructions on how to create an account to support your application.

  3. If you wish to be considered for our Student Support Package, then you need to give your consent to share your household income details with the University. Your parents will also need to consent to this.

  4. Student Finance England may request evidence or further information so you will need to send in supporting documents.

  5. Once the assessment is complete, you will receive a Student Finance Entitlement Letter that will detail exactly how much support you can receive. It’s really important that you sign and return the declaration form that comes with the letter or you won’t receive the loans.

  6. Make sure you apply before the deadline of the end of May 2019. After this date, your student finance may not be in place for the start of your course.

  7. Enrol online in August and then collect your MMU ID card during Welcome Week. We will activate this and tell Student Finance England that your enrolment is complete.

  8. Your Tuition Fee Loan will be paid direct to the University and you will receive the first instalment of your Maintenance Loan.

Don’t forget that you need to re-apply for your student finance for each year of your course.

What is a met card?

If you are a full time undergraduate or foundation year student, you will automatically be issued with a met card. You can load the card with money to spend on a variety of goods and services in and around campus including food and drink, print and IT services, sports and leisure, stationery and books. If you qualify for our Student Support Package (and are not staying in our accommodation), your support will be credited to your met card.

All other students can apply for a met card via the web page below.

You can find more information about the range of services available at the met card website.

Students with disabilities

If you have a disability, may be entitled to a Disabled Students’ Allowance (DSA).How much you get depends on your individual needs. You will need to apply for your Student Finance first and then fill in an additional application form for the DSA. The DSA is available to full and part-time students. If you disclose your disability on the UCAS form, our Disability Service will contact you with an information pack. If you accept an offer of a place at the University, they can also support you with your DSA application.

Managing your money

Advice and tips from current students on how to make your money stretch further.

Find out more

Further details, including full terms and conditions, can be found on the Financial and Legal Services Student pages.

Undergraduate Study