Money matters
for September 2020 starters

Find out what financial support is available for students starting university in September 2020. Discover advice and top tips from our current students on how to manage your money.

Cost of university

The two main costs you will have whilst studying are: 

  • Your tuition fees for each year of your course.
  • Your living costs e.g. rent, food, clothing, course materials, entertainment.

If you are a home student studying on a full-time course, you can apply for student finance to cover both of these.

You can apply for this support through the central loans company for your country, no matter which university you choose to study at e.g. an English student would apply via Student Finance England. The type and amount of support varies according to your country of residence and you can find detailed information on the relevant website:

Remember that you need to re-apply for your student finance for each year of your course.

Tuition fees

You can find the tuition fees for each course in our eProspectus.

All new, eligible undergraduates are entitled to a loan to cover their tuition fees. If you have any concerns about your eligibility or if you have studied before at Higher Education level in either the UK or overseas, please contact your relevant funder for advice.

Tuition fees for new, Home and EU undergraduate students in the 2020-21 academic year are £9,250 per year. Tuition fees for the 2021-22 academic year have not yet been confirmed by the government.

UK undergraduate tuition fees are subject to UK government approval and controlled by the Teaching Excellence Framework. Tuition fees can rise each year in line with inflation for both new and continuing students as the cost of delivering courses increases. Inflation will be calculated with reference to the RPIX, a measure of inflation in the UK.

The Tuition Fee Loan is paid directly to the University by the Student Loans Company so you will not receive it personally.

Living costs

A Maintenance Loan will be available for new, full-time undergraduate students. This is to help you to pay for your living costs, including rent, food, clothing, course materials etc. You will receive part of this amount once you have enrolled, collected your ID card and Manchester Met have confirmed to Student Finance that you have arrived. The remainder of your maintenance loan is paid in instalments at the start of each subsequent term in January and April. The amount of loan you will receive will vary, depending on where you chose to live whilst you study and on your household income.

The figures for the 2020-21 academic year are shown below.

Students living at home

Household income
£ per year

Maximum Maintenance Loan for living costs*
£ per year

Maximum Tuition Fee Loan
£ per year

Maximum borrowed (excluding interest)
£ per year

25,000 7,747 9,250 16,997
30,000 7,095 9,250 16,345
35,000 6,442 9,250 15,692
40,000 5,789 9,250 15,039
42,875 5,414 9,250 14,664
45,000 5,137 9,250 14,387
50,000 4,484 9,250 13,734
55,000 3,831 9,250 13,081
58,222+ 3,410 9,250 12,660

*Students with household incomes above £25,000 lose £1 of Maintenance Loan for every £7.66 of income above £25,000 when living at home until the amount they receive reaches 44% of the maximum amount at which point there is no further reductions.

 Students living away from home (outside of London)


Household income
£ per year

Maximum Maintenance Loan for living costs**
£ per year
Maximum Tuition Fee Loan
£ per year
Maximum borrowed (excluding interest)
£ per year
25,000 9,203 9,250 18,453
30,000 8,544 9,250 17,794
35,000 7,884 9,250 17,134
40,000 7,225 9,250 16,475
42,875 6,845 9,250 16,095
45,000 6,565 9,250 15,815
50,000 5,905 9,250 15,155
55,000 5,246 9,250 14,496
60,000 4,586 9,250 13,836
62,249+ 4,289 9,250 13,539

 **Students with household incomes above £25,000 lose £1 of Maintenance Loan for every £7.58 of income above £25,000 when living elsewhere until the amount they receive reaches 46.6% of the maximum amount at which point there are no further reductions.

Student Support Package

Currently we offer a £750 per year Student Support Package for new, full-time, first year undergraduate students and foundation year students. The support package is available to every UK undergraduate full-time student from a household with an income up to and including £25,000. It is available for each year of study on a full-time course with fees of £9,250.*

This also includes our degrees with an integrated foundation year and our undergraduate integrated masters degrees. Eligible part-time students will receive a pro-rata amount of the Student Support Package.

*This is the fee for 2020-21. Tuition fees may be increased in subsequent years of study by an amount determined by Government, linked to the rate of inflation.

Scholarships and bursaries

Care Leavers’ Bursary

Care leavers at Manchester Met can also apply for an additional cash bursary of £1000 per year.

Other support funds

The University's annual Support Funds offer a range of discretionary awards to support students

Sports Scholarships

Our Sport Scholarship programme supports talented athletes from a variety of sporting backgrounds as they combine a demanding training and competition programme with study for a world-class degree.

The Neelam Aggarwal Scholarship

One non-repayable scholarship worth £3,750 (and paid as three annual instalments of £1,250) is awarded each year to a new UK, undergraduate, full-time student in their first year of study, from a household with an income up to and including £42,875 and paying fees of £9,250 per annum*.

Find out more

Manchester School of Art credit 

The Manchester School of Art usually offers assistance to students in the form of a credit of up to £200 on your met card to help you to cover the additional costs of materials associated with art and design practice based courses. Please note the scheme is yet to be confirmed for 2020-21. Visit the Art School website for more information. 

Part-time students

Eligible undergraduate students are entitled to apply for a Part-Time Tuition Fee Loan to cover the cost of tuition fees (for the 2020-21 academic year this is up to a maximum of £6,935, depending on the number of credits studied.) You will also be able to apply for a Part-Time Maintenance Loan.

Find out more

If you have a disability, you may be able to apply for the Disabled Students’ Allowance. The amount you can get will be affected by your ‘course intensity’ i.e. how long your course takes to complete each year compared to an equivalent full-time course.

Mature or independent students

Independent students

You’re classed as an independent student if you meet one of the following conditions:

  • you care for a person under the age of 18
  • you’re 25, or over, on the first day of the academic year
  • you’ve been married or in a civil partnership
  • you’ve supported yourself for at least three years before the start of your course
  • you can demonstrate that you are permanently estranged from your parents.

If you are classed as an independent student, Student Finance England won’t take your

parents’ income into account when working out the household income and contribution.

However, the income of your wife/husband or partner may be considered. If you are unsure if you qualify, contact Student Finance England for a full list of criteria. Extra help is also available to students with children or dependent adults:

You can apply for the above via your main Student Finance application and you may be required to supply some additional information.

If you are a mature student returning to education, you can find useful advice on our mature students pages. If you have studied before at undergraduate level, we would also advise you to contact the Student Finance company for your country before starting your course.

Applying for student finance

Follow these steps to make sure that your student finance is in place for the start of your course.

  1. Applications usually open in late January. You don’t need to have accepted a place at university yet. Use your preferred choice of course and you can always log in and change this later if you need to. You will need:
    • your passport
    • details of your university and course
    • your bank details
    • your National Insurance number.
  1. If you need to provide details of your household income, you will need to enter your parent’s email address when completing your application. They will then receive an email with instructions on how to create an account to support your application.
  2. If you wish to be considered for our Student Support Package, then you need to give your consent to share your household income details with the University. Your parents will also need to consent to this.
  3. Student Finance England may request evidence or further information so you will need to send in supporting documents.
  4. Once the assessment is complete, you will receive a Student Finance Entitlement Letter that will detail exactly how much support you can receive. It’s really important that you sign and return the declaration form that comes with the letter or you won’t receive the loans.
  5. Make sure you apply before the deadline (to be confirmed by Student Finance England). After this date, your student finance may not be in place for the start of your course.
  6. Enrol online in August and then collect your Manchester Met ID card during Welcome Week. We will activate this and tell Student Finance England that your enrolment is complete.
  7. Your Tuition Fee Loan will be paid direct to the University and you will receive the first instalment of your Maintenance Loan.

Don’t forget that you need to re-apply for your student finance for each year of your course.

What is a met card?

When you enrol at Manchester Metropolitan University, you will be issued with a Met Card. You can load the card with money to spend on a variety of goods and services in and around campus including food and drink, print and IT services, sports and leisure, stationery and books. If you qualify for our Student Support Package, and you are not living in university accommodation or university arranged accommodation, the money is credited to your Met Card. You can find more information about the range of services

available to purchase with the met card at

Students with disabilities

If you have a disability, (a long-term health condition, a mental health condition or a specific learning difficulty (e.g. dyslexia), you may be entitled to a Disabled Students’ Allowance (DSA). How much you get depends on your individual needs. The DSA is also available to part-time students. You will need to apply for your student finance first and then fill in an additional application form for the DSA. More guidance can be found at

More information about the support that our Disability Service can offer to students can be found at

If you disclose your disability on the UCAS form, our Disability Service will contact you with an information pack. If you accept an offer of a place at the University, they can also support you with your DSA application.

Managing your money

Advice and tips from current students on how to make your money stretch further.

Find out more

Further details, including full terms and conditions, can be found on the Financial and Legal Services Student pages.

Further details, including full terms and conditions, can be found on the Financial and Legal Services Student pages.

Undergraduate Study