Who am I?
Who am I?
I am a statistician and I joined the Faculty of Science and Engineering, Department of Computing and Mathematics in December 2019 as a lecturer. I am also affiliated to the Crime and Wellbeing Data Centre.
I was previously research associate in social statistics at the University of Manchester and small area estimation methods at the University of Sheffield.
My research interests are in topics related to survey statistics, survey methodology and statistical modelling. In particular, my main expertise is in small area estimation under mixed-effect models.
I am also very much interested in applications related to social indicators, such as crime, wellbeing and poverty indicators.
If you would like to work together on these topics, drop me an email and I will be very much looking forward to meeting you!
Academic and professional qualifications
- PhD in Social Statistics - Thesis in Multivariate Small Area Estimation for Multidimensional Well-being Indicators - The University of Manchester (UK)
- MSc in Marketing and Market Research (Survey Methods Pathway) - University of Pisa (Italy)
- BSc in Economics (Quantitative Methods for Economics and Business) - University of Pisa (Italy)
- September 2017 - December 2018: Research Associate in Small Area Estimation at the University of Sheffield. NCRM project on Innovations in Small Area Estimation Methods
- January 2019 - December 2019: Research Associate in Social Statistics at the University of Manchester. InGRID2 project.
English, Italian and British Sign Language
Research Expertise, Publications & Grants
My research covers topics in survey statistics and survey methodology and in particular small area estimation methods.
I am mainly interested in the following research areas:
- small area estimation under different approaches,
- model-based inference,
- survey weighting and survey calibration,
- variance and mean squared error estimation,
- data integration,
- estimation and weight adjustement of non-probability samples,
- data dimensionality reduction in small area estimation,
- resampling methods such as the bootstrap.
- With Dr David Buil-Gil - The University of Manchester: Small Area Estimation of Crime Indicators
- With Prof Natalie Shlomo - The University of Manchester: Methodological Topics in Data Integration
- With Dr Adam Whitworth - Univeristy of Sheffield: Small Area Estimation of Social Attitudes and Topics in Survey Calibration.
Current work in progress
Refereed journal articles
- Moretti, A., Shlomo, N., and Sakshaug, J.W. (2019) Multivariate Small Area Estimation of Multidimensional Latent Economic Well-being Indicators. International Statistical Review.
- Moretti, A., and Whitworth, A. (2019) Development and evaluation of an optimal composite estimator in spatial microsimulation small area estimation. Geographical Analysis.
- Moretti, A. and Whitworth A. (2019) European regional welfare attitudes: a sub-national multi-dimensional analysis. Journal of Applied Spatial Analysis and Policy.
- Buil-Gil, D., Moretti, A., Shlomo, N. and Medina, J. (2019) Regional distribution of dysfunctional worry about crime in Europe. A small area estimation application. European Journal of Criminology.
- Moretti, A., Shlomo, N., and Sakshaug, J.W. (2019) Small Area Estimation of Latent Economic Wellbeing. Sociological Methods & Research.
- Moretti, A. and Whitworth, A. (2019) Evaluations of Small Area Composite Estimators based on the Iterative Proportional Fitting Algorithm. Communications in Statistics – Simulation and Computation.
- Moretti, A., Shlomo, N., and Sakshaug, J.W. (2018) Parametric Bootstrap Mean Squared Error of a Small Area Multivariate EBLUP. Communications in Statistics – Simulation and Computation.
Refereed journal articles
- Buil-Gil, D., Moretti, A., Shlomo, N. and Medina, J. (Forthcoming, 2020) Assessing the Spatial EBLUP in small area estimation: A simulation study and an application to confidence in police work. Applied Spatial Analysis and Policy.
Chapters in books
- Moretti, A. (Forthcoming, 2020) Small Area Estimation. Invited chapter in SAGE Research Methods Foundations, 16 volume(s) Atkinson, P.A. Williams, R. A., Cernat, A. Sakshaug, J. W. (Eds). Invited publication.
- Buil-Gil, D., Solymosi, R. and Moretti, A. (Forthcoming, 2020) Non-parametric bootstrap and small area estimation to mitigate bias in crowdsourced data. Simulation study and application to perceived safety in Hill, C., Biemer, P., Buskirk, T., Japec, L., Kirchner, A., Kolenikov, S. and Lyberg, L. Big Data Meets Survey Science. Wiley.
- Multivariate Small Area Estimation of Latent Wellbeing - International Conference on Small Area Estimation – Naples, Upcoming (July 2020).
- Multivariate Small Area estimation Methods for Composite Indicators: Educational Poverty: Definitions, Measures and Mapping. Lunch-to-Lunch Workshop – University of Pisa, 2019.
- Multivariate Small Area Estimation of Multidimensional Well-being Indicators: An Overview of Recent Methodological Advances. 10 Years of Social Statistics, University of Manchester, 2019.
- Small Area Estimation of Latent Economic Wellbeing - International Conference of the ERCIM WG on Computational and Methodological Statistics (CMStatistics 2018) – Pisa.
- Multivariate Small Area Estimation of Multidimensional Latent Economic Wellbeing: a Focus on Housing Deprivation - Small Area Methods and living conditions indicators in European poverty studies in the era of data deluge and Big data – University of Pisa, 2018..
- Small Area Composite Estimators under Microsimulation Approaches - Mid-term meeting of the grant “Innovations in Small Area Estimation Methodologies NCRM project” – University of Southampton – .
- Small Area Estimation in R - R group University of Manchester (RUM) , 2018.
- Small area estimation of worry about crime at regional level in Europe: Some Findings from the European Social Survey 5 - Final conference of the Margin project (project funded by European Commission Horizon 2020 Programme) – Budapest, 2017.
- Contributed Session on “Small area estimation in the era of big data, crowdsourced data and non-probability web surveys. Topics in poverty, social exclusion and crime” at 8th ESRA Conference, Zagreb.
- PopFest, Annual Population Studies conference, Manchester 2015 - Local committee.
Expert reviewer for journals and publishers
- Journal Referee: PLOS One, Journal of Survey Statistics and Methodology, International Journal of Social Research Methodology, European Journal of Criminology, International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, Econometrics.
- External Reviewer: submissions to the 4th International Conference on Administrative Data Research - Cardiff, December 2019.
Awards, Honours & Distinctions
Prizes and awards
- University of Manchester President’s Doctoral Scholar award for PhD (2014-2017)
- Economic and Social Research Council North West Doctoral Training Centre PhD Grant (2014-2017)
- Advanced Quantitative Methods Grant (2014-2017)
Visiting and honorary positions
- Honorary Research Fellow: Cathie Marsh Institue for Social Research - University of Manchester
Membership of professional associations
- Member of the Italian Statistical Society (SIS)
- Fellow of the European Survey Research Association (ESRA)
- Associate Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (HEA)
- Member of the European Research Consortium for Informatics and Mathematics - Working Group on Computational and Methodological Statistics (ERCIM WG CMStatistics): Small Area Estimation group
- Member of the Young SIS (group of the Italian Statistical Society of Early Career Researchers).